Fly Tying
Tim Shovel

salmon flies

I'm looking to tie a salmon fly, from what I found the only flies are egg patterns. But if anyone has tips about patterns or colors that would be greatly appreciated

My advice would be to tie all of them, in all colors, sizes and variations, so you can stare at the countless fly boxes full of flies trying to decide which one you'll use on the river like the rest of us! :>)

Maybe an answer that will help (though many here will fully agree with the above!) is to search the internet for lodges and guides that are in the areas that you plan to fish, and see what they list as popular fly patterns. I'm constantly looking around on the web to see other people ideas, variations, creations etc, in the areas I fish, this website included for sure.

this is a great site for local fishing info. http://www.ontariofishingforums.com/forum/

this one is center pin based, but might have some info on fly selection for salmon. http://floatfishing.net/floatboard.php

fair warning. the river systems that you have picked have by far some of the most unethical fishing practices you will find in Ontario during fall runs. i personally stay away from the rivers during the salmon runs and return for steelhead.

I have my hands down best luck with Brown, Olive and Black Wooly Buggers when targeting Lake Ontario Chinook. I tie a pink one on when targeting Cohos. Swing or dead drift presentation depending how many of my closest friends are around. A couple others I tie are Comets and big stoneflies. I rarely use egg patterns for Kings but start fishing them when the Browns come to town and I will get a King here and there, mostly after they've been in the stream awhile.

Here's a comet I tied this fall:

post-52996-0-20791300-1423832054_thumb.jpg