Fly Tying
eastern fly

Pike & Musky set up ??

I'm wanting to get another rod this year. One for pike and musky. My thinking leads me to a 10wt. But I'm not sure and what manufacture. Any ideas? For a line I was also thinking of using Rio Outbound Short.

Kevin

Ive got a winston passport that I use for pike, musky, and soon salt and I love it, and pretty affordable. I personally prefer a 9 but a 10 might fit you better.

I just picked up a 9wt Echo Ion and a lamson liquid 3 pack. Haven't fished with it yet but cast nice and I really like my Echo glass 3 wt.

I think it depends on what size flies you plan on casting. If you are really going to target Muskies, especially big ones, you are going to need big flies (plus these are big powerfull fish). I wouldn't go below a 10 or even 11 wt. But for smaller flues, 6inch and so, targetting regular sized pike, I've used my 9wt Orvis clearwater without any issues. I will however be getting a dedicated pike line (probably rio pike musky line). Just my 0.02$ for what its worth...

Ive got a winston passport that I use for pike, musky, and soon salt and I love it, and pretty affordable. I personally prefer a 9 but a 10 might fit you better.

I have the Passport too, it's unfortunate Winston quit marketing them in 2014. It's a pretty good rod, my 8wt has treated me well.

I have a Beulah 9' 8wt that I'm throwing a Rio 9wt Outbound Short line on. I can throw 12" Daniel D. Holm type pike flies from the bank or out of my kayak up to sixty feet without problem. The line can handle the larger flies and the rod can handle pike over forty inches. If you were going to target musky as your number one, you probably might want to go with a 10wt rod just for fish fighting ability.

I am right there with you eastern fly. I am looking for another rod and I think I may have found it. The T.F.O. ESOX. It is an awesome rod that comes in a 10 or 12wt. For musky the reel isn't as important as the rod and line. But the rio pike/musky lines are well worth the money.

I just got a cabelas 10 wt. I believe it was the LSI ? And I put a sage 2200 reel on it with rio pike/musky line. It's a pretty good setup and I have hucked some serious fly's with it.

I just got the Grey's XF2 Salt in a 10wt and really like it so far, matched with a 3.5 Lamson Guru and outbound short.

10wt will be good, 9' or a little bit shorter, you can cast BIG flies! But get a pike/muskie fly line, Rio, Guideline & Vision make good ones! A salt rod is also something to think about? Then you have another use for the same rod! I bought myself early X-mas present last year, maybe the king of pike rods. Hardy proaxis-X 8' 10" #11 one piece, hardy 7000dd reel with vision big daddy pike line. I'm loven it! Remember to strip set the hook!

You should check out Clutch flyrods. I've got a 12wt that I use for my 450grain sink line. I'm doing a lot of lake fishing tho so I need this sort of thing for the caliber of fish and flies I'm tossing. I use a completely different rig on a 10wt for the river world and when my arm is about to fall off from working a 12 all day.

Clutch makes some custom musky rods now that has extended handles just for the figure 8 etc. Awesome sticks; check em out.

I have also heard good things about TFO Esox. Blane Chochlett designed it for muskie. Met him and heard him talk about the rod and fishing muskies. There are a lot of good features in that rod..

Thats a real nice rod! Guideline make excellent rods & excellent fly lines, so you should look there! Just depends on what kind of fishing you're doing, they have 3 pike lines, float, full sink & new intermrdiate i bought last year in 9wt & love it, but has no welded loop!