Fly Tying
Nomad77

Deer Hair Frog "Masterpiece"

This has been very enlightening...That being said, I'm still "skeert" of spinning deer hair..lol

This has been very enlightening...That being said, I'm still "skeert" of spinning deer hair..lol

Don't be scare dude...Get some hair and some 210 thread and give it a shot. You would be surprised what you just might can do!

I have tried it..What I am scared of is that I will become so engrossed in learning how to do it, that I would sit behind a vise for the next 5 years and have a 10 inch long beard and no idea of what time it is...Just wish I had more time to get into it, that's all ;)

... What I am scared of is that I will become so engrossed in learning how to do it, that I would sit behind a vise for the next 5 years and have a 10 inch long beard ...

So, you've seen some of the really good deer hair guys. Now you know why most of them look that way.

cohen not only ties great patterns, he is fast!, I guess if we cranked out as many as Pat, we'd all be better tyers.

Yeah ... it's amazing to me that he sells his "Punk Rockers" for $25.00 (or he used to last time I checked). If I was to try to tie a fly like one of those ... well, let's just say I'd be working for about $12.50 a day.

Even at $40 that still pretty quick turn around...He is indeed speed racer when tying!

Wow! I guess it's been a while longer than I'd realized.

Cool ... I could make them and get paid $20 a day !!! Don't worry, Nomad. Some day you, too, could be rolling in cash like that !!!

Never feer the deer. :)

I have never have tied a bug that dense is the reason I asked the question and you responded quite well. Thanks.....I did tie a rough copy of a Messinger Frog once by stacking but I did not get it any where near as tight as your bugs. You are absolutely correct about the looser bugs getting more water logged and the big ones get quite heavy when water logged but they do make an unusual 'glup' with short jerks and they can become difficult to pick up for a back cast. I use foam, balsa, and cork too but to get them as Purdy as some of our forum members do requires a lot of time and I don't do it. All in all I prefer to tie hair bugs too. I just like doing it. I have a bunch that have never been wet and some of them are probably older than a lot of the forum members. I am impressed with your size 10 bug. I do some size 6 on standard length shanks. I don't trim them quite as close though and they are in the style of Tap's hair bugs. Large face tapered to the tail and most have a buck tail tail only. I do like a red chenille collar between the tail and body. I like it but I don't think the fish care. I do agree with Mike in that your bugs are top notch. There are a few others on this forum that do a fine bug too.

It's funny, but Pat used to be a regular on this forum. Wasn't that long ago it seems he was just starting to tie & asking questions.

There are indeed many good tiers around who do superb work with deer hair & Pat is one of the very best. However, he is also proof that if you put your mind to it & take the time to learn, anything is possible. Most of us may never be as good as he is, but it's not impossible to be very good at tying deer hair bugs.

tidewaterfly,

Well said buddy...You are 100% correct anyone can accomplish anything if you want it bad enough, work hard, and never give up your dream.

That's really cool that Pat used to be a regular on here. That speaks volumes...I'm glad I could grab a seat!