Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dewey.sbag

Aussie Tyer

Names Dewey

Started tying about 2 months ago, having a blast and starting to tie some realistic looking flys. Joined a group based in Sydney called Bar Flys, meets once a month for a tying sessions at Sydney Guide and Fly Outfitters run by John Marshall. Is alwys a great night and learning heaps from some pretty good tyers.

At the moment my favourite tie is an Emerger Caddis along the lines that Davie McPhail ties. Still a bit scrappy but getting better each tie.

Welcome to the forum Dewey! Man, just starting out and tackling Salmon Flies already! Wow, just my belief but, they are tough to tie. As long as you are having fun with it, that's the important thing.

Here's wishing you good tying.

Emerger Caddis Pupa

1st attempt at this fly

Size 14 Caddis Hook,
Copper Body,
Brown Thread
Golden Olive Dubbing,
Synthetic Raffia Wing Case
Wood Duck Wing
Mallard Horns
some UV on head case

post-55473-0-35069500-1427785762_thumb.jpg

Thanx, i'll have to look into it next time i come on a holiday to Australia! I was born in Auburn & lived my first year in Guildford! Grew up in Picton area, don't know how the waters are there now, cos' this was almost twenty years ago when i was there last, but if you drive the Canberra hwy to Wilton exit, head to Picton but when you see the cement works in Maldon turn left, drive to the end & walk down to the old suspention bridge & from there you can get down to the Nepean river, it has bass, up from the bridge is a wier, at the bottom of it after the rain was good! Be carefull in summer, seen a big brown down there!