Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stabgnid

A Crappie pattern & Some Soft Hackles

Heres what I tied today ..I'm trying a crappie pattern out & Tried some soft hackles

Lmk

Steve-stabgnid

today%20flys%2039_zpsublz0m9s.jpg

We have a great Crappie pond not so far away from here, maybe 10 miles. I like your patterns !

That pond also houses some nice small and big large mouth bass. Later in the season it gets a healthy population of snapping turtles though, especially off the island that sits dead center in the pond. Great canoe pond, not so great wading pond. But all through May the Crappies are real healthy guys. I assume the breeders are active then. They like blues in there and chartreuse colors. I never thought of pink. Olive Rabbit strip too. Hmm, now I need to tie some Crappie flies !

I tied these up for a swap. I call them "black and white cookies" its a grizzly soft hackle over a cross cut rabbit.

I use them for pumpkin seeds and bluegill but i think crappies will like them just as much.post-54906-0-54488900-1428724511_thumb.jpgpost-54906-0-47008600-1428724522_thumb.jpg