Fly Tying
madhunteroutdoors

Hello from S. Wisconsin

Hello there!

I am new to fly fishing but have been fishing, hunting, and trapping most of my life. I have a decent 4wt and reel (St Croix Ultra and Pflueger Trion 1934) and a fistful of flies.

My favorite species is bluegill so I have just started getting out and exploring lakes and sloughs looking for big gills that will soon be making their way into the areas pre spawn. I will also be fishing the driftless area as I lean to become more proficient at casting and fly selection.

I am really looking forward to putting together some flies once I get a vise and the few tools to get started.

Tight lines!

Welcome, There are many excellent threads on selecting materials and tools for getting started. Don't be afraid to chime in with questions or start a thread if you have a question that you don't find already covered. I recommend spending some time in the beginners forum.

MHO, This is CSB1 also from Wis.. If you're looking for help and information, you came to the right Forum. The people here are great and always willing to help. Enjoy!

Welcome Mad... I'm from Florida which is about as far from Wisc as one can get, but we both have lots of lakes, and that's where you'll find your bluegills. In Fla., most lakes are surrounded by bushes and trees, making it impossible to fish from shore or wading. So I use a canoe. If you have lakes with shallow grassy littoral zones and very little brush on the shore, you'll be able to just wade out in the water a ways and cast away! Tie yourself some foam spiders for a start. Quick and easy, and BGs love them.

If and when you choose to migrate into trout streams, someone else will help you. We don't have any of those down here.

Welcome to the site, Mad.

Bluegill ... or any of the sunfish family are my favorite, too. I don't live where there are trout, but I have caught them in the past and I'll stick with my sunfish.

As Flafly stated, foam spiders and poppers are super fun. Tie up some simple thread nymphs, copper johns or caddis patterns, too, since 'gills will readily inhale those bugs.

I like a #12 popper the best. I guess it is the excitement of seeing them slap that thing under then take it. I've learned not to set the hook at the first splash, it seems like they seldom take it the first time around. Whatever you use, I wish you the very best. Take care and stay safe,

I would rather be in Wisconsin! Welcome to the best website on the net. You will find this site has the most information and the best people around!!