Fly Tying
GabPamgea

Hook, eye and emerger...

Joe, I wasn't meaning the vertical eye closes the gap. It's the down turned shank on jig hooks that does. I mentioned them as they are the most commonly used kind of hook with a vertical eye.

Might be an issue on small short shanked jig hooks (e.g. the euro nymph style hooks) but not really an issue on larger more standard length jig hooks, at least based on their popularity among competitive warm water fishers in the US. Have been playing around with balanced leeches for a few years now and while I'm still not completely convinced by the style, have not noticed any marked difference between their hooking rate and conventional hooks. Of course it is all a matter of preference, but jig hooks have been around for some time, and they are quite effective if employed properly. YMMV.

I agree with you It is the small, as you call them, "Euro Nymphs" that I have an issue with.

Cheers,

C.

I will not have the final solution for the question, but i like to believe that using for dry fly vertical eyed hook is less visible then normal hook eye and spookie fish will eat the fly. Probably this is only a mental suggestion but i use always this kind of hook in stillwater or chalkstream..... Love it :)

But i don't know if what i believe of this hook will be true...

When I looked into trying the C15-BV (which I have not yet), the marketing verbiage suggested the vertical eye aids in keeping the leader (at the eye) in the film.

I wonder how many tons of "Mud" are sold each year for the purpose of getting the leader through the surface film? Now we are supposed to buy hooks to do what we buy other products to avoid? I don't get it.

Cheers,

C.

You know Crackaig, I have been playing with the jig hook based nymphs for about a year or so and find no marked difference in my hooking percentage compared to a regular curved shank bead head. I am not going to flatly state there is no difference, the scientist in me would require a controlled experiment with sufficient trials to make that claim. But I will just enjoy my fishing for now.

As for the vertical eye, hasn't this been tried at least once before? Waterwisp flies maybe? Not sure it really will improve anything.

Steve

Steve, as I mentioned before you can rig your standard curved or straight shanked hooks to fish in the same attitude as a jig hook. Avoiding the need to change the flies you had, cutting down on expense, and good fishing time wasted tying them. Simply tie your existing nymphs on using a turle knot, but go through the eye from the "wrong" side.

as for Waterwisp flies, I mentioned them in my first post one this topic, though you may not have spotted it. Waterwisp flies were tied on Kenya Dry Fly Hooks. I didn't get it then, I still don't now. Especially when what we usually try to avoid is being used as sales hype for them.

Things like this come and go, Mostly as an attempt to sell more tackle and materials. Unless I can understand the advantage they give, or can't do the same with what I have, I don't waste my time and money on them.

Cheers,

C.