Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SBPatt

CDC Sans Elk

The standard CDC & Elk is an all-time favorite fly and usually the first thing I'll try if

A. it's new water that I have no info on

B. nothing's happening hatch-wise

C. I really need to get the skunk off and touch a fish

D. caddis are pouring off the water, or doing their egg-laying thing, and heads are up (duh - the no-brainer choice)

Only problem I have with mine is that once they've cycled through a few fish's mouths the ungulate wing (I actually use deer far more than elk) mats and no amount of false-casting, blotting, blowing, re-floatanting (?) gets it to more than a semi-mat position. Not an issue in daylight, the fly's still pretty visible and remains effective. The problem comes in the late evening, well past dusk, when the hatch I fish most, hydropsyche, can really get going; then finding the fly on the water becomes problematic and I end up striking at any rises in the general vicinity.

Looking at some of the other flies I use at that time of evening I found Barr's Hi-Viz Rusty Spinner, with it's synth (I use Congo Hair) wing to be the most visible, floatable and effective, so I borrowed that idea and replaced the wing with tan CH.

IMG_4107_zpsfzbptr1x.jpg

then took it a step further and added a hot orange Egg yarn indicator

IMG_4099_zpsyh7pirbw.jpg

IMG_4111_zpsawqkk0kz.jpg

IMG_4117_zpsm2qysrcq.jpg

Hook - Dai Riki 305 #16

Thread - MFC 8/0 sand

Body - CDC tan

Wing - Congo Hair tan

Indicator - Egg Yarn hot orange

Haven't had a chance to fish them yet, but fingers are crossed. A couple strong blows and a shot of Dry Magic floatant re-charges the wing even after it's been chewed on.

Regards,

Scott

Looks like a great fly!

I harvest my own CDC by snorkel at night. No ducks died in supplying my fly tying efforts. You have to be quick, and expect a few surprised "accidents" on the part of the sleeping duck. It's a It's a "Snatch and Grab" affair. But with the price of CDC, it's worth it...I think..

Looks like a great fly!

I harvest my own CDC by snorkel at night. No ducks died in supplying my fly tying efforts. You have to be quick, and expect a few surprised "accidents" on the part of the sleeping duck. It's a It's a "Snatch and Grab" affair. But with the price of CDC, it's worth it...I think..

Gene,

I would pay good money to see this.

Regards,

Scott

Looks like a great fly!

Gene,

I would pay good money to see this.

Regards,

Scott

This was a farce, of course, in case some may misinterpret. My strange sense of humor with a taste for the absurd. :)

You may have opened a whole box of Pandoras that could lead to untold grief within the mallard community. Let those cold, partially-plucked duck butts be on your head.

Regards,
Scott