Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chuckinline

2 piece vs 4 piece rods.

Thanks for the replys. Didn't think there was much of a difference other than size wise. Just noticed there was a lot more 4 piece options available so I figured there may be a reason. Thanks!

As was mentioned there is basically no difference these days between 2pc,3pc,4pc,5pc,7pc. Back in the 80's and before then there was a difference. You would get what is known as a flat spot at each ferule where the blank would not bend the same as the rest of the rod. These days with the better designs and materials that is thankfully not an issue anymore. So only difference now is just that you have more ferules to periodically check for tightness. Other than that you won't find any difference in them other than portability and cost.

Lose a tip section of a Z-Axis, and it will cost you $100. That's a BLANK section.

That's the only problem I have with 4 piece rods. More things to lose if you're careless. Like me.

Most often a rod tip is "lost" while walking to or from the river with the assembled rod OR when holding the unassembled rod pieces in the hand while walking to the river. As for most bad practices, "There is cure for that."

Assembling the rod should be the last thing you do before walking to the river and disassembling the rod and putting it away should be the first thing you do when arriving back at your vehicle. That is how you minimize rod breakage or driving away with your rod on the top of the car.

Losing a rod piece on the walk to or from the river is easily prevented. Assemble the rod and reel and pull the line and leader through the guides. Put a fly on the tippet. Pull a section of leader OUT of the tip top guide and SPIRAL THE LEADER several times around the rod as you take the leader DOWN the rod and hook the fly to one of the lower snake guides. This keeps the leader tight against the rod so no branches can hook the leader. The top section of the rod cannot fall or be pulled off the rod without pulling on the leader which will pull on you hand.

Good practices prevent accidental loss or breakage while getting ready to fish or after fishing. I have NEVER "accidentally" lost a rod section or broken a rod in over 30 years of fly fishing prior to or after fishing.

Most often a rod tip is "lost" while walking to or from the river with the assembled rod OR when holding the unassembled rod pieces in the hand while walking to the river. As for most bad practices, "There is cure for that."

Assembling the rod should be the last thing you do before walking to the river and disassembling the rod and putting it away should be the first thing you do when arriving back at your vehicle. That is how you minimize rod breakage or driving away with your rod on the top of the car.

Losing a rod piece on the walk to or from the river is easily prevented. Assemble the rod and reel and pull the line and leader through the guides. Put a fly on the tippet. Pull a section of leader OUT of the tip top guide and SPIRAL THE LEADER several times around the rod as you take the leader DOWN the rod and hook the fly to one of the lower snake guides. This keeps the leader tight against the rod so no branches can hook the leader. The top section of the rod cannot fall or be pulled off the rod without pulling on the leader which will pull on you hand.

Good practices prevent accidental loss or breakage while getting ready to fish or after fishing. I have NEVER "accidentally" lost a rod section or broken a rod in over 30 years of fly fishing prior to or after fishing.

Mmmhmm.

Did I mention I found said tip lying on the middle of the path. A recent storm had knocked it out of the brush. That was the very first day I took the rebuilt tip out to the bay...

Hey is that you chuckinline the pike hating, fly chuckin Yahoo from east of Dafoe?

Small world this internet isn't it?

More answer and opinions about 4 piece vs 2 piece on this site than the other huh?