Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Comfort vs. Utility in Vehicles -- What Would You Do?

Was just deer hunting backside of Lake Parlin last weekend, was cold and snowing and the wind was treacherous. Tracked a decent buck through the fresh snow for a couple hours but couldn't catch up. Washouts are definitely tough to get across sometimes, if the wife is with me we turn around because she gets all nervous, but if I'm out with my buddies we'll find a path or make one.

Any birds or rabbits while you were out?

Next time your wife is with you, try forging Cold Stream just above the fall. That is IF you can get through the beaver flowage on the way. <]:-D My wife still puckers when we go through that.

Did I hear correctly, there was a monster buck taken (I heard 275lbs) in that area this year?

Michael

post-624-0-61341000-1448672936_thumb.jpgpost-624-0-66628100-1448672938_thumb.jpgThis was my choice for over 350,000 miles of getting out there and back. had to sell it this past spring and am using a ford 2wd van for now. post-624-0-45988800-1448672773_thumb.jpgpost-624-0-49627400-1448672781_thumb.jpgpost-624-0-58437900-1448672802_thumb.jpg

Was just deer hunting backside of Lake Parlin last weekend, was cold and snowing and the wind was treacherous. Tracked a decent buck through the fresh snow for a couple hours but couldn't catch up. Washouts are definitely tough to get across sometimes, if the wife is with me we turn around because she gets all nervous, but if I'm out with my buddies we'll find a path or make one.

Any birds or rabbits while you were out?

Next time your wife is with you, try forging Cold Stream just above the fall. That is IF you can get through the beaver flowage on the way. <]:-D My wife still puckers when we go through that.

Did I hear correctly, there was a monster buck taken (I heard 275lbs) in that area this year?

Michael

257lbs, if I remember correctly, somewhere near the Capital Road (AKA just south of Parlin Pond) When I was up last it was still the leader in the big buck contest. A couple guys from Vermont had tagged deer in 220-230lb range. Best method is tracking during snow if you have skills and stealth, otherwise you have to hunt a single game trail long enough that you're there when the deer pass by, which could be a week. I'd love to spend more time out there but we usually drive from my camp which is about 1 1/2 hours south east and spend they day ramming the roads, if I see fresh deer tracks I'll get out and follow it for a bit. I love going out to Cold Stream Falls, we thought about heading over there but my daughter is to little to be out in those temperatures for very long. Didn't see anything, birds or rabbits, it was almost eerie walking in the woods with the light snow and the heavy winds (In fact the partridge hunting between Bingham and Jackman has been awful compared to other years, I've seen only seven in four trips and only one rabbit).