Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Trout Fishing and the Color of Wet Dubbing

So if everything is darker when wet, wouldn't the insects be too?

If we imitate their color when dry, shouldn't the wet color be similar to then when they are wet?!

What's great about fly tying and fishing is that in the end, we each get to make our own decisions. The old saying of "presentation, size, color..." is absolutely applicable in this discussion, though I prefer to look at it that color is on the list versus being last.

Thinking about my own fishing and experiences with trout, I immediately apply that saying to a native trout in a rarely-fished stream versus a pressured one on a spring creek. In my opinion, the color shade does matter in the latter, hence why I prefer to get the closest shade possible when tying. Knowing that there are slight to major color/shade variations within a specific hatch has taught me to think that way. For example, during our sulphur hatch, the duns and spinners can vary in color from a pale yellow to strong orange depending on their size (and other factors), plus there are additional colors seen in their bodies (which is one reason why I also do still tie with Spectrumized Dubbing). http://thedelawareriverclub.com/tips-and-techniques/spectrumized-dubbing/

Does this mean that I fish ultra-realistic patterns? No, I tend to go more of the "suggestive" route, but don't critique those who prefer to match as closely as possible.

As the notion of eyesight related to fish enters this conversation, I have yet to find what I would call the definitive source for information. I have read a little on the subject (enough to make me dangerous!), basically between Vincent Marinaro's thoughts to "What Fish See..." by Colin Kageyama, and like many of you, have applied pieces of each into my own fishing and tying. If anyone has any additional information related to this, I'd love to hear more about it.

As I mentioned in my previous post, this is a fun conversation, and something for us to discuss a bit online and have some fun with it. Again, the great thing about tying and fly fishing is that in the end, we have the ability to choose what matters to each of us, be that the size of the eyes you place on your ultra-realistic PMD emerger to the shade of the BWO spinner you're fishing. ;-)

TC

SilverCreek clearly articulates some of the confounding issues, and thus raises the question does it really matter? Is the water test meaningful? Do you adherents really believe that if you are off by a few shades, as in the example of wet versus dark synthetic, that your fly will be refused? Really? Especially when one considers all the other variables involved? Put it another way, what traditionally is considered the ranking of importance when considers presentation, size, and color?

As I confessed, I quite often test a new pattern in water, but more often than not to check the action or silhouette first and color last.

There's been a couple of threads lately, of people catching Trout in big numbers. Not size, but quantity. (Guess they're not that much smarter than Bluegill)

When I read of large numbers of fish caught ... I always wonder at what the fish are attacking and why. (as many of you do)

Then I look at some of the neon colors, pure whites and blacks, copper/gold/silver wire, etc., that we use to tie many flies. Except in rare cases, these colors do not exist in nature.

In some situations like highly pressured waters, getting as close to "the hatch" matters. In most situations, putting that bug in the fish's face matters more.

The subject of color is an interesting one. About 6 to 8 years ago we had a gentleman from one of the fly shops our club members frequent speak at one of our meetings. His topic of choice was color.

He explained that color changes differently between natural and synthetic materials. They have a light with various filters they use test new materials before they put them on the shelf. Also as you go deeper the color change is more drastic. Reds will go to browns.

He also noted, and he sees this more with saltwater, you see a fish come up to your fly like a bat of h--- and you brace yourself for the strike. All at once they change direction. The theory is they gotten close at there is a color shift. They don't have that great distance of water to filter colors. The color shift scares them and they instinctively know its not natural.

That particular meeting lasted over 2 hours when we scheduled 1 hour.

I was experimenting one year with craft store materials. I tied a nymph with olive roving wool. At a depth of about 2 feet it appeared to be black.