Fly Tying
bulb

Tigerflies

it just seems so bulky.....I've always have heard " less is more.." I guess not it that case...

seems as if that's true only for fly fishermen. If less is truly more, then all the millions of different crankbaits, plugs, spinnerbaits, soft plastics, and any other lure the OTHER KINDS of fishermen use would not work, would they?

I don't know, Joel ... one of my most effective lures is a clear Zara Spook. I've had hits on that when nothing else was working.

Not all the time, mind you ... but in those times, "less" is definitely "more".

Mike what makes that clear plug so effective isn't what the fish can see (as fly anglers we're looking for fish to react mostly to the visual...) but what they can feel..... That's why when we're working deep for big tarpon I want a fly that fish can literally feel as it moves nearby. I'm the first guy to remind folks to be very sparse with synthetics -but if you're talking big fish in places where they can't see much of anything clearly then big and bulky is at the top of my list....

That Zara Spook, the Rapala Skitterwalk, the Mirrolure Top Dog... all have a place in my gear in the dark waters of the 'Glades.... Just nothing like watching one working -then that explosion.... From the smallest Muddler all the way up to big spun and clipped mullet flies I'm sure the fish know it 's there before they ever see it...

thanks for the suggestions fishypieter! Have you had any success with a black/purple color scheme? just curious

thanks for the suggestions fishypieter! Have you had any success with a black/purple color scheme? just curious

Depends on where you will be fishing.

If you give me an idea where you are going, I can give suggestions on which color will work

My parents are moving to nairobi come spring, so we're going to base most of our fishing there. On the other hand my dad has fished the zambezi for tiger before so a trip or two to the zambezi is definetly top on the fishing list.