Fly Tying
flytire

January flies from the vise

Very nice looking mix of materials and tying styles. I'll be waiting to hear if the bass like that.

Very nice looking mix of materials and tying styles. I'll be waiting to hear if the bass like that.

Thanks mike, we are in the same neck of the woods so if you havnt already throw a ehc next time your out and stip and pause and watch how much the bass love that thing! I was trying it as a last resort and after floating it to no avail i took a couple strips to pick the line up and my daughter distracted me so I paused and blam! like he was eating a frog or something!

I'm really proud of this dry fly I tied. It took me almost 40 mins, but I was really focusing on proportions and laying each thread wrap with a purpose. It is tied with black Whiting Farms rooster hackle, Black Superfine dubbing and black 8/0 Uni thread. I used a size 12 Mustad C53S hook. It isn't labeled as a dry fly hook, but it still floats with the hackle on it. I hope I did okay :).

post-56175-0-98842200-1451871756_thumb.jpg

Joe.... LOL! It looks like a hybrid hairhead-caddis-marabou-bugger. Probably could make it in different sizes and catch almost anything with it. You ought to do a SBS and name it something like Rube Goldberg.

Joe.... LOL! It looks like a hybrid hairhead-caddis-marabou-bugger. Probably could make it in different sizes and catch almost anything with it. You ought to do a SBS and name it something like Rube Goldberg.

lol its the swiss army knife of streamers, im thinking about putting it on a stainless hook and doubling the species I can fish for lol

Seriously though I am thinking about leaving the body hackle off on the next one I think its un necessary on this fly.

Have been watching Jerry French on youtube and i really liked his composite loops, so i tries to adapt the idea to tying trout streamers. Tied on a 25 mm. shank and a b10s hook.

attachicon.gif20160103_133407.jpg

That's a nice streamer on roids....I like it

It would do well on the large natives here ( purple and black )

I'm really proud of this dry fly I tied. It took me almost 40 mins, but I was really focusing on proportions and laying each thread wrap with a purpose. It is tied with black Whiting Farms rooster hackle, Black Superfine dubbing and black 8/0 Uni thread. I used a size 12 Mustad C53S hook. It isn't labeled as a dry fly hook, but it still floats with the hackle on it. I hope I did okay smile.png.

attachicon.gif1451871598993-1519815302.jpg

A very nice looking fly.

However, if you wish to improve even further, you could work with the following:

- Get the tails to be even. They are already very nicely placed on the top of the hook :-)

- The body is almost perfect, try to use slightly less dubbing, and spin it harder, you will be better of with a thin hard looking body.

- The hackle looks like it's tappering tovards the front of the hook, a common issue, that might cause the fly to tilt forward.

Try to have a uniform base for the hackle (not tapering base), or tie the hackle in at the tip, having the shortest fibers behind the wing.

- The wings are perfect, I do however like hen hackles more, since they have a broader profile, but that is personal preference.

- Head is slightly on the larger side, look at youtube and find Hans Weilenmann - https://www.youtube.com/user/HansWeilenmann

Hope you can use the little input, if not, then please disregard this post ;-)

Best

Henrik

Thanks retrocarp! I've tied two more since in orange/brown and olive, will post some pictures when i get home. Im fiddling with mixing in long marabou barbs in my dubbing loops, to give a transparent feel. Feels like a crash cource in material handling, it's really hard to get all the materials into the loop without messing up...

The flies just keep looking better and better. I guess there's something positive about cabin fever after all.

Nice sculpturing, Dan.