Fly Tying
Chris_NH

Upgrading vise... recommendations?

I've tried out the Peak, the Rensetti Traveler 2000 and 2200, the Anvil Atlas, the Anvil Apex. I've used various Indian made vises and tied on the Model A Thompson but I've never tied on a Griffin Odyssey. The Indian knock off of a Regal that sells everywhere for $45 is rough in comparison but it clamps well when new. I really liked both Anvil vises and the Rensetti Traveler series was probably the top vise for the top price. The Peak is well made but I've tried two different ones and it doesn't make me smile. I wanted to like the Peak, I had my mind all made up that was to be my next vise, then I tried them out. No go, glad I didn't order one online without trying it out first...

People here love the Peak, it seems nearly every time these threads on what vice to buy next, winds down, another person has bought a Peak. I think maybe Mike broke the mold with the Odyssey !! My suggestion, there are lots and lots of vises, go try them out, there really is a difference between them..

I've only tyed on Regals, Thompson, my Mayfly rotary and now the Peak I got for Christmas. Of these I prefer the Peak. I like the large heavy base and the smooth rotary feature. I haven't tryed anything smaller than 12 but it looks like I'll want the smaller jaws when I do antthing smaller than 16. With the midge jaws it'll cast you around $190 but I think you'll be happy with it for a long time. And it's made in the USA.

Look mate if you're tying to a budget ... then the suggestion of the danvise is not a bad one , I still use mine and I have more expensive vises to play with.

If you can spend a little more then the advice earlier for atlas vice is very good.

Regards

Retro

My first fly tying vise was a Griffin Spyder. I wanted to upgrade to a pedestal base vise and choose the Griffin Mongoose. Sometimes I still pull out the Spyder and use it. For an inexpensive vise it is hard to beat.

I've got the peak rotary. Thing is a tank. Tied everything from 2/0 to size 24 without problem. Pedestal base is nicely heavy as well.

If it were me, I'd get a part-time job at minimum wage and be able to buy most any vise made in about 80 hours or more likely only 15 to 30 hours for the ones that most people use.

If it were me, I'd get a part-time job at minimum wage and be able to buy most any vise made in about 80 hours or more likely only 15 to 30 hours for the ones that most people use.

When you foot the bill for a kid in college, to the tune of more monthly than our mortgage and biggest car payment ever were combined, you can feel free to insult me here for not wanting a 3rd job to get a vise like yours. Until then, I'd appreciate it if you'd go find someone else to be the escape valve for whatever is going on in your life that's got you wanting to drag someone else down so you'll feel better.

Hmmm 80 hours ... two weeks.

If you're working a minimum wage job, and you spend two weeks of pay on a vise ... have fun tying on the curb, because you just missed your house rent or mortgage payment.

Not everyone has the free money to spend.

When you foot the bill for a kid in college, to the tune of more monthly than our mortgage and biggest car payment ever were combined, you can feel free to insult me here for not wanting a 3rd job to get a vise like yours. Until then, I'd appreciate it if you'd go find someone else to be the escape valve for whatever is going on in your life that's got you wanting to drag someone else down so you'll feel better.

Wow! Sounds like I hit a nerve. I'm not a mind reader, so how was I suppose to know you have gotten yourself into financial difficulties? If my idea doesn't work for you, just ignore it. No need for the testy response.

Chris, look at the Anvil Apex and those vises that appeal to your budget needs. All we are doing is tying thread on a hook, we want something reliable and yet enjoyable to use to get that job done right ? I'm 100% sure you can find something within budget that works for you without getting a third job. And congrats on having kids with the motivation to further education !! Some of the Griffith non rotating vises might appeal to you as well. Don't let one off comment ruin your search. I find half the fun is the shopping LOL !

Wow! Sounds like I hit a nerve. I'm not a mind reader, so how was I suppose to know you have gotten yourself into financial difficulties? If my idea doesn't work for you, just ignore it. No need for the testy response.

He didn't say he was in financial difficulties, he said he was putting a kid through college. If you've checked lately that takes a lot of otherwise free cash and hallelujah if the kid goes on in life and excels in life because of it. Meanwhile I'm sure we can suggest a vise for this guy to enjoy tying with, something he maybe isn't getting from his older and apparently rough vise he owns.

Honestly, though, if finances are at a point where OP can only jusify spending $70-80 on a replacement for a vise that actually works but just "isn't pretty", OP is probably better off pocketing that money and not buying a vise at all.

This is because, from the baseline of a vise that is functionally sound, there's not really much ground to be gained from that size of a cash outlay, and it's more of a case of having $70-80 in your pocket, or buying something with it that really isn't going to add much to what your current vise is doing.

I don't mean this in an insulting way at all, but if your current vise isn't giving you problems, you're better off not buying anything now, and just waiting until that tying budget increases before making a vise purchase. If that means throwing the $80 in a jar, so be it. If for whatever reason it's "use it or lose it" money, spend it on hooks and materials.

The thing is, there's not a lot of difference in the qualities/capabilities of the various vise options in that sub-$80, certainly not enough to justify an $80 outlay. Where your $80 would *really* get you more for the money is to jump from $80 to $160, as the curve for quality & features is fairly flat from 50-100, spikes quite a bit from 100-200, and levels off again much above $250, at which point everything is great quality, and you're just looking for the best fit for your needs.

If the only thing your vise isn't doing for you right now is looking pretty, clean & polish it. You're not going to get an extra $80 worth of performance out of buying a new sub-$100 vise.

This is the last time I'm going to say it, what my money would be on in this price range. Made In USA, well built, smooth operating, passes reviews with flying colors, The Anvil Apex with in line rotating feature.. Definitely one up from most others in this price range ( way smoother ). Goduster ( forum member) sells it for $79. Go beyond just my words though, Review: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/anvil_apex_vise.htm