Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
moskito_01

storage of flies

I`m still at the beginning of my tying carreer, but already, the flies are piling up. So far I store them in a fairly big plastic box with several seperate sections.

But I can already see myself loosing track of them some time soon.

How do you do it?

Personally, I think we are all at varying degrees of "out of control"!

I use the plastic boxes, like tackle boxes or lure boxes.

Lately, I tie what my fly boxes need, and put them right back into my vest. I don't "tie in advance" much any more.

That having been said, I do find myself starting to tie more because of the things I see going on around this board... I'm especially interested in some of those salmon flys, but that's another story!!!

I use Plano Utility boxes to store all my larger flies (size 10 and larger) and trout flies are stored in larger true fly boxes (no foam) I just load them into smaller boxes as needed for each trip. I really like going lighter on what I carry with me when I am out on the water. Hope this helps.

i have a few large rectangular candy tins that my inlaws gave me. I bought a few packs of ripple foam and stuck in them. I use them for home storage since they would be cumbersome and not waterproof in the field.

I have a piece of wood, 5/8"X24"X24", and on opposite sides every 2" starting at the top and going down is a nail pounded in, so that about an inch of the nail is sticking out. Then running between each set of nails from one side to the other is a piece of wire. After I tie a fly I just hang it on the wire,

Moskito,

I followed some excellent advice that I received here on FTF and went to the local "Dollar Store" (discount store) and bought a whole bunch (I grabbed 16) of plastic boxes that are divided up and meant to hold craft materials (like beads) or harware (like nuts and bolts).

The ones I got measure about 12" x 8" and are divided into 24 compartments, each about 2x2" (does my math check?)

I figure that, with 384 little 2x2" compartments, each holding about 25 flies (lessee... that's 9600 flies), I should be good for another week or two of tying... heh heh

I also bought a whole bunch of "Plano" model 3870 satchel cases (like someone else mentioned in another thread) that are designed to be snapped together (2 of them, back-to-back) and I use these (and a couple of large "Tupperware" containers for hackle) for storing tying materials. I am in the process of building a rack to store all of these cases.

Tschuss!

Gary

I use the Plano boxes and if you contact Plano you can get more dividers and get up to 32 compartments in one box. I now have 8 of them: Mayflies, Caddis, buggers, large streamers, mayfly nymphs, and so on. Each box is labeled so I can pick it out of the pile easily. I have an inventory of about 3,000 flies - because I like to tie even if I have enough.

I store them in plano boxes store them east or west then Early middle and fall in over 40 yrs their 's a lot of them.

O I forgot theirs Bass & worm water species &Strippers on on on .

L_Pa