Fly Tying
moskito_01

selfmade flydressing/floatant

The guy that told you mixing lighter gas with vaseline would dry your flies was absolutely right, but I bet he didn't want you to catch fish. Gasoline and fish don't mix. Use the other stuff recommended here. wink.gif

bugeyes.gif Here's a tip for drying out those water soaked flies.Look for the packets of silica that comes in packaging to keep moisture out. Break these packs open and start filling an empty Advil bottle. size is up to the fisher person.When the fly is all water logged .just drop it into the bottle a give it a shake.No need to get all that grease all over everthing.The silica will suck up all the water and give the fly a sheen that looks like tiny oxygen bubbles. NO bs.gif Here's a question . What leader size should I be using for the five species of Salmon? I will be fishin the Kitimat BC area next week, Thanks In advance

This is really cool stuff guys....i know it doesnt matter much but i never dreamed that fly fishing could be so fun....especially when you get to meet all different kinds of people who have the same interest. And the creativity is awesome. I just wanted to let you guys know that reading this stuff is really something cool to see.

Moskito:

Try a little less vaseline. Maybe 5 to 1. I think you are jusy trying to dissolve the vasseline and the have it disperse through out the fly so that when it dries you have no residue. I have had luck with white gas and wax but it really is a pain compared to all the easy to use stuff out there.

Ted

what is frogs fanny??? Only the best fruckin stuff you can use for a floatant....problem is the price. $% for a little fruckin bottle!!!!

Problem solved:

Fumed silica Less than 7$ including shipping!

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/2_fillers.html

plus add a little silica dessicant, you now the "DO NOT EAT" packets you get from shoe, optics, ect. and you now have Loons Topride.

Later

When one of my last ex wifes was a bait fisherman, she used to spray WD40 on het bait, and pull in fish after fish. That got me to thinking one day, so I sprayed WD40 on my flies, and it worked pretty well. I try to keep a small can in my vest. Apparently fish must like the smell or taste of it.

I've also used Scotch Guard. It works well and I always have a can or two around.

But my all time favorite floatant is Bag Balm. The stuff in the square green can that you put on cows utters. Any store practically has it in the pharmasuticals/beauty section. Plus, it keeps your lips and hands from getting dry and chapped, especially in the winter. I use the hell out of it. It even comes in small cans, or scoop some out and put in any container you want.