Fly Tying
FlaFly

First Peony of the season

Steve.... there are several things that cause blooming problems. Most common are:

1. as Mike says, peonies need full sun... 4 to 6 hours a day. Your plant is right near the house, suggesting that light could become an issue.

2. it's a new plant. Peonies can take several years after planting or moving to start behaving.

The fact that you got one good bloom and several failed blooms makes me think neither is the problem here. It looks to me as if you have a condition known as bud blast. See the pic. Any stress can cause it. If you had a late frost or cold snap after the buds had begun forming (before you could even see them), it could cause bud blast. You might consider talking to the local extension service to see if perhaps lots of people are having bud blast this year.

That is a really pretty plant though, and I predict next year barring any late cold snaps, that you'll get good blooms.

post-52210-0-02161800-1464754217_thumb.jpg

It looks to me as if you have a condition known as bud blast. See the pic. Any stress can cause it. If you had a late frost or cold snap after the buds had begun forming (before you could even see them), it could cause bud blast

You know what, that may very well be it. We had a few nights frost warning here later than normal, after the buds formed, it did not actually frost but it was cold. I bet that may have done it. I didn't even think about that.

Good call, Flafly !!!
Bud Blast ... sounds like a beer party. You might have to design a fly for that name !!!

peony_zpsckrowkko.jpg

Thought you might like this pic FlaFly. This is one of my sisters Peonies in her back yard. It's been in their yard for over 20 years now is is just a monster of a plant. I keep telling her I'm gonna sneak over while she's at work and dig it up lol

That's really special. Looks like "Bowl of Beauty". Am I right? Tell sis she did good.

The amazing thing about peonies is that they completely disappear over winter, but in the spring these little red shoots appear, and within a few weeks you have a bush like that! I like that one because it has short flower stems. Some like "Sara Bernhart" have stems 3 or 4 feet long, and by the third day the bloom is lying on the ground under its own weight.