Fly Tying

I'm with you in that I'm not going to spend $140+ for a gold midge saddle. I know there has been some negative press on this site but Feather Emporium is your friend. He sells 25 & 100 packs that are good quality. You specify what size you want and I haven't had any issue with the feathers not fitting my needs yet. There is also a bargain bin that I've had good luck with as well.

feather emporium sells "cape tops" for $3 - $5.50 depending in size and these feathers tie from size 16 - 24

theres a lot of griffiths gnats in that grizzly posted below and at a great price

cate-tops.jpg

http://www.featheremporium.com/Fly-Tying-Feathers/dry-fly-hackle2.html

Now that's what I call a good deal! Sold! Haha. Thanks!!!

Any experience with these? Think they can tie down to a size 26? I have a few small midge dries that I want to try and tie on a 26 hook. If this fits the bill, I'm buying a few tops! Thanks!

My cape tops have been used to tie size 26 before. You're not going to get a lot of those size feathers but they are in there.

I have a Wapsi rooster neck in Badger that has a really good range on it , probably 26 if not 28, up to some 12's, then from there out one side has slender feathers where you might get 10's out of them and the other side has shorter softer feathers that you could tie wets with. $11.95 I paid for that one from Bears Den. Scott keeps Wapsi packs with a Bears Den name on the label, not sure how he gets them but they are pretty nice. The feathers are short of course cause it's a little cock neck but for midges and other dries and at that price it doesn't matter a whole lot to me if I get one feather per fly.

My cape tops have been used to tie size 26 before. You're not going to get a lot of those size feathers but they are in there.

Great! Inuit ordered the small size in 4 colors... $12 for 4 colors is amazing! Free shipping also? Never buy feathers anywhere else again! Haha. Well if they come back good quality.

That being said, the chance I took in tying this "offensively oversized" seemed to pay off because the trout in my area love them.

"Offensively" was only added to humor you, not as critical commentary. I hope you took it as such. Your fly looks fine, and your video is nicely executed.

Here's a screenshot from Tim Flagler's gnat video. Tim's the guy who does all those high quality tying videos of Matt Grobert. The chosen hackle isn't exactly short in barb length but still produces a good gnat.

...and one from Mr McPhail. A little shorter in barb length and possibly what many would consider ideal. The proportions are indeed nice, but keep in mind he did use a wide gape hook.

And finally some I tied recently. The barb length is a bit longer than the 1.25x hook gape that usually appealed to me, but I didn't fret over hackle selection on these, and the result is a group that isn't perfect but will still fish.

That being said, the chance I took in tying this "offensively oversized" seemed to pay off because the trout in my area love them.

"Offensively" was only added to humor you, not as critical commentary. I hope you took it as such. Your fly looks fine, and your video is nicely executed.

Here's a screenshot from Tim Flagler's gnat video. Tim's the guy who does all those high quality tying videos of Matt Grobert. The chosen hackle isn't exactly short in barb length but still produces a good gnat.

attachicon.gifflagergnat.JPG

...and one from Mr McPhail. A little shorter in barb length and possibly what many would consider ideal. The proportions are indeed nice, but keep in mind he did use a wide gape hook.

attachicon.gifmcphailgnat.JPG

And finally some I tied recently. The barb length is a bit longer than the 1.25x hook gape that usually appealed to me, but I didn't fret over hackle selection on these, and the result is a group that isn't perfect but will still fish.

attachicon.gifP1000349.JPG

No, I was not offended or bothered by that. I was making a little joke as well. Don't worry.