Fly Tying
caloosa bug

weedless without mono

Jason your flies are looking great man!You could guide those trips!Did pretty well in July

Thanks Steve.. that was fun.

My wife was worried about taking someone I never met out in the lake..she was glad you weren't a " crazy person".. haha.

I tied up a weedless baitfish fly tonight.. and I have to say, it looks like a fish catcher.

It may be a fish misser or a snag grabber, but we'll see. I super glued the base of bucktail to stiffen it as a weedguard. I left more of a gap between the point this time because the ep fibers would help in deflecting the grass. This one is tied in a gamakatsu 1/0 ewg worm hook.

I think I'll stop now till I can test them. Hopefully this weekend.

post-59266-0-09293000-1471404591_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-57832100-1471404607_thumb.jpg

Cool. My brother has been in Dunnellon for the last two years. He kayaks the rainbow and withlacoochee quite often. I've only fished it once and that was on a pontoon with the kids..so i didn't really fish.

Those rivers are great for fly rodding IMO. First time I was there, it was recommended to me by Lefty Kreh to try fishing there. My family & I was vacationing in Orlando, and the only rod I owned at the time was a 6 wt pack rod. I caught some of the biggest Bluegills there the first morning that I've ever seen in my life. They were 12 to 13" in length and caught on a size 6 white marabou streamer.

VMC makes an offset EWG worm hook that has a longer front section which is excellent for tying flies on. It's model 6319 or 7319.

Since streamers tied on worm hooks are being mentioned, check out the website of Capt Chris Newsome. Chris is a guide in VA, and fishes the lower Chesapeake Bay area. He's also an excellent tyer and has some very good patterns on his site that could be adapted to bass fishing, even though they're primarily intended for Striped Bass. Check his Facebook page too for pics of flies he's tied. I took a look to check his site & apparently the old site is no longer up. Shame too as it had some awesome tying & pattern information. Anyway, check his blog & website, and I'm sure he'll post some of the flies again. He's a great guy too, so if you send him a message & ask about his flies tied on worm hooks, I'll bet he will give you some insight to his patterns. smile.png

Thanks a bunch Tidewaterfly! I did find some of Chris Newsome's flies and there are definitely some that could I could use on the lake. Good looking stuff for sure.

I got out for a few hours today to do a little field testing on my new weedless flies. It was just a local pond with a feeder canal that was full of lilly pads. Some were above the water and they were in small clumps, with some open water between the clumps. The weedless gurglers performed better than I had hoped. I could cast it past the clumps and bring it right through the middle with no hang ups. I could let it sit is the middle, wiggling it till it settled between the pads on the surface. Several bream and Mayan cichlids were trying their hardest to devour the 1/0 and 2/0 worm hooks. Out in Okeechobee these could be deadly.

After reading and watching some you tube videos on the "bendback" hooks I noticed many people simply bending a straight shank hook. I have some mustad 3407's size 2 here in my box so I figured I'd go ahead and make some jr weedless gurglers.

post-59266-0-69361900-1471742475_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-82911000-1471742494_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-82271200-1471742509_thumb.jpg