Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sockeye guy

Danville Depth Ray question

I just bought some thread and see that Danville makes a Depth Ray line in 1 or 4 strand in flat waxed 210 thread. What is different about the Depth Ray line? Thier website does not even list it. Thanks!!

Depth Ray is fluorescent colors. I've used the single strand a lot, and for many years. Even have several 1 oz spools of it I tie with on a Griffin Rod Wrapping bobbin. The 1 oz spools are also not listed on their website. It's the same basic thread as the flat nylon, but in fluorescent colors. I used to tie commercially & bought the Depth Ray unwaxed. I think it's available in either waxed or without.

You may have to send Danville a note about availability. I haven't bought any in quite some time, as I still have a very good supply. rolleyes.gif

if he is asking about 1 & 4 strands isnt that floss and not the fluorescent thread?

is the 1 strand thread and the 4 strand floss?

Norm, the "Depth Ray" was what Danville called the flat nylon that was in fluorescent colors. It is a "flat floss" type nylon thread. I also bought their 4 stand floss, but believe it was a rayon material, not nylon. I could be wrong. They also had some fluorescent colors for some of the other threads. I found out about the Depth Ray Nylon when I started buying direct from Danville. They had various items listed on their prices sheets that weren't often seen in catalogs.

The Depth Ray flat nylon was sold in these colors: Fl. Fire Orange, Fl Orange, Fl Pink, Fl Red, Fl Blue, Fl Neon Yellow, Fl Green, and Fl White.

The Fl Fire Orange looks more red than orange IMO. The FL Red was a Cerise type red, the Fl Neon Yellow is a chartreuse color, where the Fl Green is a green chartreuse.

Fl White had a bluish tint to it. All glowed under a black light.

As I said, I used them a lot. They were great colors for Steelhead & Shad flies, plus panfish flies. I Still tie a lot of flies using the Fl. Fire Orange, as I like how it looks.

i'm still learning :)

i have some danvilles depth ray yarn for some streamers i'm going to be tying but thats about it