Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jd1983

What is this cape worth?

Raffle it one dollar tickets even people that would buy it at a good price would likely buy a ticket or 5.

Due to TN's laws, we won't be able to hold a raffle until 2018 but it might be worth hanging on to it until then.

Chinese auction maybe bundled with lesser valued items. Value also depends on venue. If it's a fund raiser people tend to bump it up a bit. If it's a fund raiser serving alcohol the prices really go up. I run a fishing fund raiser every year and we have found that alcohol is your best friend when it comes to max profits. Personally I think 20 bucks is all you could get for it. With alcohol you may push it to 35.

After first looking at your pictures my first thought was "Maybe some cree feathers mixed in but not a cree cape". I have a cree cape I paid $125 for. Ridiculous? Maybe but it is beautiful cree throughout and have a huge range of sizes in the ones we love, primarily 14s and 16s. Looking at your cape I'm in agreement with the $30-35 area picking it out of a bin. However if it is put out at a fund raiser function as a silent auction (can you do those) and I had a use for that cape I'd go to $50 or so because it's an auction and fundraiser and it tends to be too easy to jot down your name and bid at those things. At least it is for me.

Hi guys,

You've already had good suggestions regarding price. The cape is a Whiting dark barred ginger cape. Take care & ...

Hi guys,

You've already had good suggestions regarding price. The cape is a Whiting dark barred ginger cape. Take care & ...

And I'd say for sure that it's a Metz cape and that Metz would call it a cree. Attached is my old Metz #1 cree but I'd argue that the feathers in the mid and smaller sizes are barred ginger in actuality, just like yours.

Based on the stamp on the back of the OP's cape, it looks to be a #2.

post-22463-0-03754200-1490223379_thumb.jpg

post-22463-0-36648800-1490223389_thumb.jpg