Fly Tying
Kudu

Marine Hacks

JB Weld....had a part break right where the fuel line hooks up...the metal just broke.

JB Weld saved the day

In the salt I always carried extra wire, wire brush, corrosion inhibitor and if your motor has fuses, extra of those.

In the summer time we like to go out on the river and troll for walleye. The river where we fish runs anywhere from a foot to 5 feet deep filled with rocks and boulders that change the depth by the linear foot and wreak havoc on your prop and lower unit. We take hacked lighted marker buoys and lay out our trolling path when it's light out. When it's dark and you cannot see safe passage through the rocks so we just lineup and follow our lighted buoys.

The buoys are simple plastic bottles containing a calum light stick. Wrap cordage around the bottle that has a 1lb lead bar tied on the end. Throw it over and the cord unwraps from the bottle as the lead sinks. The size of the bottle is dependent on the current since a small a bottle can be pulled under in a strong current. We typically use a one liter bottle. A 16oz bottle can be used in light current.

I love JB weld. I'll put some in the boat. I already keep extra fuses. Poopdeck, I fish the same type of water. I use a jet outboard, love it.

I have three prop boats. One has a jet main with a 9.9 kicker. I'm sure your aware that a jet makes a terrible trolling motor

A battery is simply a fuel supply. Exactly the same as a gas tank is the fuel supply for an IC. Yes you can keep going further back and getting more defined but for fishing there is no real point. I'm done with motors for the last several years. I am the motor and engine in my kayaks so I have a large reserve of fuel onboard at all times....

I will someday buy another fishing boat with probably both an IC and Electric drive. Agree 100% with Mike- maintenance is everything. Take care of your gear, it will take care of you.

J. I used to love kayaking. I shattered my spine in 2011 had major fusion and rehab. Surgeries again in 2015, 2016. Not doing all that great now. Anyway, long story short kayaking is out for me for any extended period of time. I need to get up frequently. I'd love to get out and explore in all the new kayaks. Fish places that are small and overlooked.

I know your in Pennsylvania. My stepfather was from Old Forge. Very interesting place and very different from where I'm from.