Fly Tying

I am currently tying a Utah Killer Crane Fly (aka Utah Killer Bug). I didn't have any pink thread to wrap it with or create a hotspot, so I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and found some Danville's #210 (Fl. Pink?) and used it to wrap the body and create a hotspot... wow, the hotspot stands out like a sore thumb! It looks NOTHING like the flys on the videos.

My question is: does it make a difference what the color is for the hotspot? Danville's Waxed Flymaster Plus 210, which is supposed to be Fl. Pink) is nothing like any pink I have ever seen. Is this going to work or should I go to a normal pink (Danville 508)?

Hi Flytire.. mine look exactly like that... so, from your response, I can assume that it's ok to use Fl Pink... I was thinking that I needed to use Fl. Shell Pink so it sort of blends with the yarn, but then again, it wouldn't be a "hotspot" would it? Thank you for the response... I appreciate it... :-}

Hi Flytire.. mine look exactly like that... so, from your response, I can assume that it's ok to use Fl Pink

hell ya!

fl pink is okay

dont be afraid to try different colors for the "hot spot"

fluorescent yellow, pink, orange, red etc

If you want to tone that bright thread hotspot down put some light colored dubbing over it. When it gets wet the thread will show through, but be less bright.

One thing you keep hearing in the bass anglers circles, "Throw something they haven't seen before."

If that hotspot is different ... maybe it'll be just the ticket for the "big one!"

Also, remember that the color changes a bit when wet. Even when treated with head cement, it doesn't look nearly as bright when submerged as it does in open air. Then again, we don't really know what the fish are seeing. The real test is if they take it, then it's a good color.

I just want the fish to see the fly, not scare them away...

Of the threads and floss materials, Datum Glo-Brite Floss is the preferred hot spot material for the competition guys. There is a reason for that...

Please note which "Hot Spot " material that is used in the construction of the pattern you are tying:

PT/TB