Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TroutRuleBassDrool

Furry Foam

I was walking through my local craft store about a week ago, looking for sheets of foam to use for beetle, ant and hopper patterns. I was happy to find 2mm foam in the form of doorhandle signs, which is the size needed to tie Fishy's Hopper. I also found a foam which was covered in fuzz. It had a almost velvety texture, and came in a variety of colors. Immediately, Pujic's M.P. Dragon sprang into mind. Unfortunately, i only brought 5 dollars with me (to limit the amount of money I spend), so i decided to leave this foam for another day.

My question is this... Would the foam I described work as a substitute for furry foam? Is it the same thing as Furry Foam? Thanks.

The furry foam you described sounds simmilar to the real stuff, weather or not it is will not matter for the pattern you asked about. The furry foam used in that pattern is an underbody. I realy cant see any problem with it. Take $10.00 the next time you go!!!! There is always someting in those stores. I find the stock is allways changing so its a get it while you can thing. Good luck

TroutRuleBassDrool, it sounds like it's the same stuff. I'd suggest trying it. A lot of the materials we use for tying have other commercial uses, many of them being craft related. Please let us know how you make out if you do decide to try some.

Cheers,

Nick

QUOTE (fishyfranky @ Mar 1 2005, 11:01 PM)
I had this crazy idea of applying contact cement on a sheet of foam and then dropping fine dubbing onto it, voila... shaggy foam laugh.gif

Great idea, even peices of any "Flash" material