Fly Tying
Tom Cummings

Finished tying tool collection

I didn't get to it last year, but the previous two years, I was in Chicago area when they had this fishing equipment "flea market" at a local High School.

It's an annual event, and several tables would have huge baggies full of odds and ends, fly tying materials and tools, etc.

I bought one both years, for $25.00 each. I had my money's worth just from the tools in each bag ... and the materials were icing on the cake.

I am hoping it will happen one of the weekends I'll be up there this coming winter.

Rich mc can give more details on it, as he's from the area.

Guest rich mc

rolling meadows high school has the fishing flea market sometime in early march rich

rolling meadows high school has the fishing flea market sometime in early march rich

Yeah ... this one !!!

My name is Rob and I am addicted to fly tying tools and vices,I only started tying again this year and have four vices so far, a Marc Petitjean Swiss Master, an Apex Atlas, a Dynaking Ultimate Indexer and a Norvise, tools I have a full set of C&F tools, by full set I mean everything they do, as far as I am aware, a full set of Petitjean tools as well as scissors from Tiemco, Sportfish, Petitjean, Orvis ect and bobbins from Shmaen, Marc Petitjean, C&F and Norvise among others.

I like nice tools and buy them when I see something I like the look of, I just can't help it and I have more materials than I am ever going to use, but it's my hobby and I enjoy it, I don't smoke and drink very little so who cares about the cost.

I buy what I want when I want. If I have to wait I will go to another store and buy it there. I have purchased materials with intent to do a pattern I saw then never got around to it but still have used some for other patterns. In short nothing is wasted and in time will be used. As you said. It's a hobby and it's addictive.

My buddies and I hit all the local fishing flea markets in the late winter and early spring. The best one is the held in Palmyra, NJ. Though we'll have to check out the one in Pennsauken this year. We also make the rounds of local flea markets to see what fishing equipment we might find. Generally, I don't see much in the way of fly fishing materials, and what I do see isn't the best in the world. I usually end up picking up an old lure or two to refurbish or cheap plastic boxes I can turn into fly boxes. The one thing I do notice are the stalls selling buck tail teasers, that the surf jockeys use. They get $2 or $3 a pop for them. Now that I'm retired and considering all the buck tails and salt water hooks I have, not to mention the excess fishing gear we all have, we're thinking about getting a table at one of them just to get rid of stuff and maybe make a buck or two.