Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uncletube57

Trouble with foam bodied spiders

You would think that someone who has tied for 40 plus years wouldn't have this problem. When I tie the body over the rubber legs the freaking legs tend to point down, not straight down but, enough to cause the fly body to set up high instead of legs laying flat. I have tried different size hooks.doing a figure 8 around the legs and still same results. What the hell am I doing wrongunsure.png unsure.png ?

Tube

Which spider pattern are you trying to tie? On a Tokyo Spider, I tie the legs to the sides after the rest of the fly has been completed.

Thank guys I think I have a handle on it now. Retrocarp What part of Australia you from? back in 02 I got to spend 3 months in west Australia at a town called Roelands near Bunbury. I hooked up with some guys in the local fly fishing club and they took me down to Pemberton for a 4 day trip to the famous Rose cottage and fished several of the dams in the vineyards. I didn't catch many fish but did see some very nice rainbows and browns. Some of the pommies in the club were impressed that I caught trout there on a size 20 trico spinner. I would love to go back and maybe fish some in Tasmania.Do you fish for barramundi?

Cheers,

Tube

Thank guys I think I have a handle on it now. Retrocarp What part of Australia you from? back in 02 I got to spend 3 months in west Australia at a town called Roelands near Bunbury. I hooked up with some guys in the local fly fishing club and they took me down to Pemberton for a 4 day trip to the famous Rose cottage and fished several of the dams in the vineyards. I didn't catch many fish but did see some very nice rainbows and browns. Some of the pommies in the club were impressed that I caught trout there on a size 20 trico spinner. I would love to go back and maybe fish some in Tasmania.Do you fish for barramundi?

Cheers,

Tube

Hey ...I'm from the Eastern side about 6.5 hours north of Sydney ...inland 2hours from coast ( Armidale NSW )

We are situated 1000m above sea level so trout fishing is not bad ..but it can be hard in the depths of summer .

No Barra here they are a little further North ...although hoping to get up to lake Monduran at some stage next year. smile.png

Tasmania is a must as is NZ

Regards

Nick

Retrocarp thanks for the video it helped alot. my last batch of spiders turned out great. I dont know if you drink but, next time in the pub tip a Victoria Bitter for me. I cant find it anywhere here. I fell in love with it and Vegemite.which is hard to find here as well.

G'day mate,

Tube biggrin.png

Retrocarp thanks for the video it helped alot. my last batch of spiders turned out great. I dont know if you drink but, next time in the pub tip a Victoria Bitter for me. I cant find it anywhere here. I fell in love with it and Vegemite.which is hard to find here as well.

G'day mate,

Tube biggrin.png

Glad it helped and I might just have a Bundy spiced rum and milk instead lol :)