Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Wings

Ok I snuck away from the coldwater guys long enough to make a post in here so ...shhh quiet wink.gif

I have a buddy that is wanting me to do a few (maybe half doz) dragon fly type flies for him. I'm planning on using foam for the body and I got the eyes&legs covered but I'm wondering what you guys us for the wings on them? Anything special?

SD

I haven't tried it yet but the petals on gerber daisys, the fake ones, look like they'd work well. I tied a few using bucktail and they looked alright

SD,

For an injured dragon/damsel I like a splayed wing of light amounts of k-flash, usually with some black marker stripes.

Jason

SD,

Here's some info on Super Hair

It's got a nice, muted translucence/flash thing going for it.

Here's a well munched version of my KFlash winged damsel. I'd even go sparser on the wings than this.

user posted image

Jason

Steve, I agree with CD, that is the way to go. I have seen alot of people using plastic and other material like that and IMO they are impossible to cast. They are wind resistant and helicopter all over the place. Flash or some other synthetic fiber is the way to go. wink.gif

I don't use any. I've been copying the one I see for sale everywhere that has a good body, thorax and eyes, then just a few wraps of hackle around a foam post on the back for legs. Works great!

But since you're tying for somebody else, rock the hair (buck or calf) mixed with K-flash.

Thanks for all the input guys I'll be making a trip to the fly shop in the next couple days (need foam) and I'll post what I come up with for some comments after a get one tied up.

SD

8" x 11" Sheets. Look in the craft section, they have the blues and greens that are perfect for these flies and around here they are only 33 cents each wink.gif

QUOTE (ridderbos3 @ Mar 3 2005, 10:33 PM)
white super hair

amen.

super hair works wonders, whte hackle feathers mixed with white bucktail is a winner.