Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Musky Fly Swap 2018

MFG, if all the flies are not in I found the missing package of eyes, many many eyes. If you didn't have some handy I could send some that fit those aluminum dumbbells perfect. Just let me know tonight or soon enough tomorrow to get them in mail. Just don't look right without eyes.

Nick

Thanks for that. Definitely makes a difference if the eyes are staring back in to a musky's eyes with a look of impending doom.

Andrew - great looking fly. I like the colors. You said this is your go to Fly. We have a great selection in this swap.

All flies are in. I will photograph them and get them in the mail on Monday.

Flies have been sorted and mailed. Please let me know when they arrive. It will take a day or two to get the photos posted. Thanks to everyone for participating.

Thanks to all who participated in the Musky Swap this year. All swappers get an amazing bunch of flies. I am appreciative of your participation and would like to acknowledge all of you for your help in improving my tying.

The first fly comes from Vicrider. He did not participate in the swap, but sent a fly for all participants. What a tremendously generous act and when he comes to the Land of Mosquitoes this summer, I will get him on the water.

post-35105-0-65570500-1521999153_thumb.jpg

The second fly comes from Eastern Fly. He provides wonderful leadership for this Board with the diverse swaps he hosts. He does an amazing job of mixing materials and inspires me with how he is able to develop subtleties of color and texture with the materials. I hope he can get to the Allegheny River this year and catch a big one.

post-35105-0-87671800-1521999552_thumb.jpg

This third fly is from Flat Rock Native. He has done a great job as one of the co-mods and is an active swap participant. His fly is articulated and the colors will work well in the tannic/colored waters he and I fish.

post-35105-0-16556100-1521999769_thumb.jpg

The fourth fly comes from Andrew from Tennessee. This is his favorite fly for his waters and looking at the colors and action, you can see why. I hope Andrew keeps posting fish for all of us to see.

post-35105-0-47479700-1521999975_thumb.jpg

The fifth fly comes from Crackleback. He is another one of those creative guys, who is an active swapper and inspires all of us with his efforts. This fly is articulated, with great colors and action. The collar of this fly is reversed tied, with multiple colors on top and a solid color on the bottom.. Using the multiple colors on top really creates an amazing texture of color. I will be trying that technique in the near future.

post-35105-0-98562000-1522000296_thumb.jpg

The final fly comes from Muskyflyguy. I had been thinking about a pattern for tannic water and tied this last year. It worked and the resultant picture is at the top of the post. It was a thick beast and ultimately wrenched my shoulder on the hold. The surgery took care of that this winter and I am looking forward to throwing it again this year.

post-35105-0-56236500-1522000645_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to all the swappers for their skills and creativity!

Tom

Ive fished everyones flies a couple times the last few weeks. No fish in the boat yet but Ive had 3 follows and an eat. I had a lazy follow on your black/ orange fly, Tom. The other two and the eat were on Kevins. The eat was pretty crazy. I saw it flash on one of my first strips but thought it was gone by the time my fly was boat side. The second I turned the fly into the 8 it came out of nowhere and smoked Kevins fly. The musky thrashed once and spit the hook. Headed back out Monday and Tuesday.

Mike,

Great report! You'll be thinking about that eat at the boat for awhile. Those mental pictures stay with you. The only cure is to get another one. Over the years I have had several fish miss way out and come back from a different angle to smash it at the boat. It gets the heart pumping. Your report is also validating for the other swappers, knowing that their flies get used and work. As of yesterday, Lake Minnetonka still had 10" of ice. It should be clear next week. Then it is crappies and bass until musky season opens the first week in June. I am looking forward to trying all the flies from the swap. Good luck and put one (or more) in the boat.

Tom

So what terminal tackle do you use? Standard store bought lightweight wire leader with snap swivel? I'm thinking about changing flies with any regularity sure wouldn't be possible with just a big bite tippet of 30# or so just from the knot tying. If I get the chance to go for one of those again I'm wondering about what's leading from the end of the fly line to the fly.

My leader is pretty simple. On my sinking line its 18 of 40# flouro then 18 of 40# wire ending with a fastach clip. On the rare occasions I use my intermediate I bump both sections up to 2 foot each.

Nick

You can buy a pre made from a fly shop that loops on to the line. The business end of the leader has flexible wire ending with a string ease snap. I build my own but I have a snap on one rod and I tie loop knots on the other. Typically a foot each of 50, 40, and 30 looped to flexible wire.

Tom