Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Musky Fly Swap 2018

Okay guys, I've been working on some bonus flys for you. I've got some 6/0 Salmon hooks that should be perfect and this is a couple of trout designs I've scaled up for musky fishing.DSCF3041 (2).JPGDSCF3042 (2).JPGDSCF3043 (2).JPG

Assuming you get enough floatant on to keep them on top which do you think says MUSKY more, the Royal Coachman or the Mosquito?

My perspective is that when anyone offers bonus flies, we all welcome them and say thank you. From a fishing perspective, I have not thrown a surface fly for Muskies in ten years. It is so hard to get a follow/take, I want to maximize my fishing time. So, maybe others can give feedback, but I say Thanks Vicrider for your generous offer.

Tom

Just playing there MFG. I was a Minnesotan for 40 years ya' betcha. Took me a year down here to say casserole instead of hot dish. Those flies are a couple I've played with and my plan is to have a whole series of ties like of popular trout dries on a 6/0 hook. One serious question. Do you guys think a 6/0 Salmon hook would be a decent hook to base a non-articulated streamer on? Maybe better to stick to the Gammakatsu B10S in some sort of articulated pattern. That 6/0 salmon hook just seems like a big heavy hook for fly rods even they throw it with spey rods all the time. I'm doing a lot of reading about getting bulk without weight and which materials shed water best to stay lighter. I've throw some big old hair bugs that whistle back and forth by your head and sound like a shuttlecock being hit by a strong racket. I've never gone heavier than a 9 bass bug taper line but it sure helps to give momentum to those air resistant blobs.

Mostly white with a hot accent color or black with orange/red are my go to colors. Theres tons of bluegill so I try to imitate them as well but attractor colors end up on the end of my line usually.

I just keep accumulating plastic boxes. For pike/Muskie fishing I bring the big umpqua one with slits for the single hook flies and a 9/13 plastic for the articulated. My back up with possibles and a 4th nwih box are left. That doesn't even count the boxes for Whistlers, Dahlbergs, and other boxes. For bass I have boxes(labeled) that I select on a trip by trip basis. Probably is a better way to do this, but we always have spinning and baitcasting rods and lures along. We just developed a system that works for us. To help with the problem, we give lures/flies to kids.

We are less than three weeks to the due date. As you finish, please let me know and I will send you a PM with my address.

Thanks,

Tom