Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rjohn7

3 am phone call- duck

I have never known anyone to tie flies and not fish...that is very interesting. At the same time, I have to imagine you are very good at tying flies to do so without desire to fish.

Mouse Maniac, we have a couple of guys who get in our swaps for fly exchanges but don't fly fish, just enjoy the bench. Since I hardly get out anymore I don't get to use many flies but sure enjoy my time at the bench tying them.

@Rjohn7, you might want to check out the swap forum section and we'd get to see a bit of your handiwork hands on. Even get a fishing report back on them occasionally.

I have never known anyone to tie flies and not fish...that is very interesting. At the same time, I have to imagine you are very good at tying flies to do so without desire to fish.

I was speaking with Charlie Collins of Collins Hackle, and he said he has a few customers that tie but do not fish. evidently there are not so many but its not unheard of.

There is definite nostalgia for me, I went fly fishing with my grandfather as a child. He did not tie flies, but I'm sure he would have enjoyed it. In a way I'd certainly love to try salmon fishing, but that's not likely to ever happen. I had a heart attack a couple years back and so far I can't manage any sort of trek into the wild. I used to do winter camping and if I do manage to make it into the wild it will be for that.

Fly tying also is stress relieving for me, as well as nostalgic. I also love working with the materials.I'm likely to start trying salmon flies, because they appeal visually.

Not sure how good at it I am, but I enjoy the attention to detail, I approach it in the same sort of manner I approach any of the other arts I practice. The temptation to carve some bone hooks to tie on as display pieces is very high.

R.

Mouse Maniac, we have a couple of guys who get in our swaps for fly exchanges but don't fly fish, just enjoy the bench. Since I hardly get out anymore I don't get to use many flies but sure enjoy my time at the bench tying them.

@Rjohn7, you might want to check out the swap forum section and we'd get to see a bit of your handiwork hands on. Even get a fishing report back on them occasionally.

I may do that in the future, Right now my brother in law and nephews are taking anything they think is worth trying. I tie three a day, far from all of those are successful.

R.

Someone call me at 3:00 AM to see if I wanted a duck they better DUCK.

LOL, I'm often awake at that time, more often than not. Definite night owl. My son doesn't call until after midnight because that's when he manages to get a hold of me.

rjohn7, have you tried tying hair bugs, deer, elk, etc...that,s become truely an art form like salmon flies,only messier..lol. you will see some amazing hair bugs on this site..actually too nice to fish with anyway.

rjohn7, have you tried tying hair bugs, deer, elk, etc...that,s become truely an art form like salmon flies,only messier..lol. you will see some amazing hair bugs on this site..actually too nice to fish with anyway.

I've seen them oh here, not tried any yet, but have bought about a pound of hair. Deer, elk, caribou, moose, and several others. I have played with some of the beaver guard hair, its not as coarse and seems half way between fur and hair. but then I have a great deal of beaver to play with.

R.