Fly Tying
zip

Two classic salmon flies

Needed some time a way from tying swap flies and flies for customers.Whipped out a couple of favorite classics.

The first is a Green Highlander tied Kelson style.Its been a VERY long time since I tied one!The pattern has all the called for feather except for Indian crow (I have some but I'm saving it for a special occasion).

The second is Blackers Number One for the River Bann.Nothing fancy about it.I just love blacker flies!

Next endeavor is a Golden Parson.I just have to hunt down some Cock of the Rock feathers...which have become exceedingly rare as of late!

All the best!Steve

post-3092-0-25375400-1523941867_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-38380700-1523941884_thumb.jpg

Not a bad start to a beautiful fly!I want to see pictures when it's done!

What went wrong on your Blacker?

Thank you!

The hackle on the fly is supposed to be palmered down the body, but I couldnt find my claret hackle, so I had to tie it with a throat hackle when I did find it. My main issue is with the barred wood duck sides. They were a little tricky to tie in, but I eventually made them work. The problem is, when I tightened my whip finish, the sides exploded. I ended up just cutting them off. attachicon.gif3FEFD38B-7303-4BD4-ACAE-FD1ECDCEDABA.jpeg

I have never put a while finish in one of these flies before.You should be able to get by with a half hitch before you lacquer the head.

Awesome work both of you. I just haven't the patience to get these flies tied.

Thank you,sir!

Thanks for the heads up Henry!