Fly Tying
GlennNY

Hi from NY

I've been to Groton a couple of times, teaching guys how to work on the Honda outboards.

Good ole Rotten Groton hahaha

I knew it was a converted fleet tug. It actually had a wooden hull under the metal plating. Discovered that when we went intothe yards on Staten Island, just before I got out. I'm sure I was on board for all of those pictures taken between 1967 and 1969. The one where she's docked at the end of the pier was probably taken just before they cancelled all leave and sent us out to look for the Scorpion. Here's a picture of me standing on the bridge wing during my last cruise before I got out. That's one of the Virgin Islands in the background. Probably either St. Thomas or St. John's. My tour on board was a combination of Mchale's Navy and the Caine Mutiny.

attachicon.gifJerry at work, 1969.jpg

Nice pic Philly, McHales Navy and Caine Mutiny....that's hilarious

Small world. As a reservist PO1 after my real Navy time; I spent several weekends and a two week thing on USS Fulton @'75-6? As a Fire Controlman submarine fire control systems were a part of my knowledge base.

I was a torpedoman, when I was in we worked in tandem with the Fire control guys on board.

The fast attacks would use us as a target. One of my jobs as a quartermaster was to track the torpedo wakes after they went under us. When target practice was over we'd hunt down the torpedoes based on the observations and the divers would go over the side and retrieve them. We'd tie them down in the stern and unload them onto the Fulton when we got back to New London. One time one of the torpedoes went haywire and turned back on the sub which made an emergency surfacing a couple hundred yards from the ship. Since I was a quartermaster my DD214 listed "water jobs" as my primary job qualification upon discharge. 12 years later after finishing up college and bouncing from job to job for a couple of years, I applied for a job with the Defense Logistics Agency. I figure someone without a clue saw "Quartermaster" on my resume and assumed that a Navy quartermaster was the same thing as an Army quartermaster and they hired me. Spent the next 35 1/2 years doing logistics. In my case, subsistence, first 16 years managing specific food items stored in DLA Storage Depots, world wide. And the last 19 years, split, the first 3 years managing the food contract for Guam and the last 16 managing the contract for Japan, Singapore, Diego Garcia and the Philippines. So if any of ya'll were stationed in those areas of WESTPAC from 1998 to 2017, I was the guy that made sure you got fed.

We probably shot our exercise torpedoes at your boat. I have a similar resume story. When I got out of the service, I worked as a doorman here in Manhattan but took classes at the union to become a building superintendent. I had listed all my school and skills etc. on my resume which included "small arms petty officer" I got a job at a really nice building but had to meet with the individual board members during the interview process. A few years later the board president said one of the things that stood out to him was me being the small arms petty officer figuring if the Navy could trust me to watch their weapons, he could trust me to watch the building. I'm still at that building 23 years laterlaugh.png

Yeah, I was supposed to be good at fighting fires too. Had to explain fire control a few times