Fly Tying
Peartree

Mono Leaders for Bowfin

50 minutes ago, Peartree said:

I’ve always used tapered for trout, but only get to fish for them maybe a couple of times a year.  I went to straight mono for everything else because of availability and the cost difference and for the most part, it worked pretty well.  I typically try to bass/panfish a couple times a week, and fly change outs eat up the leader pretty quick.

Yes it does.

1 hour ago, Peartree said:

I’ve always used tapered for trout, but only get to fish for them maybe a couple of times a year.  I went to straight mono for everything else because of availability and the cost difference and for the most part, it worked pretty well.  I typically try to bass/panfish a couple times a week, and fly change outs eat up the leader pretty quick.

Why not just tie a tippet on your tapered leader so it eats up your tippet and you can change it several times over the life of the leader? I mostly just fish for bass, I tie my own leaders in 3 sections and usually replace the fly end multiple times.

4 hours ago, vicente said:

Why not just tie a tippet on your tapered leader so it eats up your tippet and you can change it several times over the life of the leader? I mostly just fish for bass, I tie my own leaders in 3 sections and usually replace the fly end multiple times.

That’s kind of the direction I was thinking about going.  How do you typically tie your leaders?  Line weight, length, knots?

I use about 2.5ft of 20lb Mason hard mono, about the same length 20lb maxima, followed by a 12 lb section I can't remember which brand name I'm using for that right now but I really like it very tough, I'll check after I get the kids in bed.

3 hours ago, vicente said:

I use about 2.5ft of 20lb Mason hard mono, about the same length 20lb maxima, followed by a 12 lb section I can't remember which brand name I'm using for that right now but I really like it very tough, I'll check after I get the kids in bed.

It's the Pline cfx leader.

I was asking just so I was sure I was on your page.  Nothing wrong with a level leader.  I will fish them and I know plenty of others that do as well.  In fact one of my friends uses an 80# "poorboy" leader for tarpon.  That last one is too risky for me since the 80# leader has a breaking strength higher than most fly lines and standard backing.  I actually want a weak link between the fly line and the fly.  Try taking 10'-15' of 30#+ mono and try to break it by straight pulling on it. If you get snagged with too strong of a leader and can't for whatever reason get to any part of that leader you either cut your $$$ fly line or leave the whole rod and reel...

Here is what I do for all of my looped tippets (and level leaders). I cut a section of tippet off of the spool (use trial and error to figure out how long a section you need for your purposes), both ends of the tippet must be able to twist freely.  I tie a twenty turn Bimini Twist to double the line on one end of the tippet.  I then cut the loop formed by the Bimini so I have two equal length lines.  I then use my forefinger to separate the lines right at the Bimini and with the other hand I roll the Bimini to furl the doubled line.  I loosely pinch where the furl forms with my thumb and the forefinger separating those two lines. Just follow the furl up as you roll the Bimini. Let the two ends for the double line jump around as they twist, if they tangle together just work it out while clamping down with the thumb and finger "guide" to keep what you have already furled from unraveling. When all of the doubled line is furled pinch the end and tie an overhand knot in the end just to lock the furl, you don't have to do this but it just makes life much (much!) easier.  Now you have a tippet that is doubled and the doubled section is furled with an overhand knot to lock it.  Take the furled section and tie a 2-3 turn surgeons loop.  The number of turns is determined by being able to properly seat the knot, so the heavier the line the less turns.  Cut off the tag (with the overhead knot in it). Done.

I know it sounds complicated and time consuming but it's actually easy and once you get it down it's pretty fast.  I tie up bunch at a time and in different strengths.  After a while it just gets mindless so I usually tie a bunch while watching TV etc. Just tie a sacrificial perfection loop in the end where your fly would go and you can then loop the pre-tied pieces together, spool them up.  This way when on the water you can just grab the spool of pre-made tippets in the strength you need, pull off a section, cut the sacrificial loop, give the tippet a good stretch to straighten it out, and you are good to go. BTW I use Ande Monofilament for everything other than cold water trout fishing, it's cheap and works great.

So here is why/how it works:

Loop knots are not 100%, if I remember correctly a Surgeons Loop has a break strength of around give or take 60%.  Now if you double your line then you are at 200% of the single line since the load is split between the two "legs" of the double.  The Bimini Twist is as close to 100% as you can get for doubling a mono line.  When you loose the 40% from the Surgeons Loop you are still well over the breaking strength of single line tippet.  Now here is the really neat part, take a pen or other item that you can insert through the Surgeons Loop to be able to really hold on to that end, grab the other end of the tippet and pull.  The whole furled and looped section will unwind and wind back up like a spring as tension is applied and relieved.  That is the purpose of the furl. For my own stuff I take it a step further and furl the section that is already furled over itself before tying the Surgeons Loop.  In truth that extra bit is probably more to appease my compulsive nature than any real world practicality for the kind of fishing that I usually do.  This "double" furl also provides a very small/slim loop opening, which is better reason to do it.  You can adjust the amount of spring by how much space you leave between the Bimini and the Surgeon loop and also by how tight or loose your furl is.  Be warned that you may have to get pretty aggressive with your hooksets the more spring you put into your tippet.  It's like attaching your tippet with a rubber band. FYI this kind of tippet was designed for IGFA record attempts and IGFA rules tournaments.  Traditionally the fly end of the tippet would also have a Bimini tied in it as part of a Huffnagle Knot for attaching a heavy bite/shock section. Nowadays many just go straight to a Slimbeauty Knot for attaching the bite/shock. Since I'm not record chasing or tournament angling I just grab a stronger tippet rather than attach a bite/shock.  If I do need the extra I just use heavier tippet and then don't mind any loss when I tie on a shock with a quick and dirty Surgeons Knot.

Swamp

$.02.  Tried to make some furled leaders; disaster and gave up.  But perching in da pond lots different to serious stuff.   I got 2 12wt. Floater and clear Intermediate sinking.  I carry an extra 12wt line and heavey braid for replacement backing for insurance.  You come too far to get chancy, failures.  I make my leaders up and pull test with fish scale so no surprises.   I had to use 30# for my weak length to get a persistent break at 18#.  That takes care of knot strength loss. And break off before breaking rod or loosing fly lines.  The double eye on the 50 at flyline is for wear and tear.  Half of 50 break way more than 18.  Tie the 80 onto fly with double figure 8 or snell behind the hook eye. Got some for popper droppers and some with wire tips.  Got the double loop idea from CpnBob.  

Wonder where you can buy woven/braided monofilament?  That would make great end loops that wouldn’t bite into weldless  eyes on fly lines.  Gotta be some cuz the eyes you can buy are made outa it but not really heavey enough.  

80C90798-472A-4098-8575-C454311F064E.jpeg

Gudebrod used to make braided mono in 35# and 50# but they are no more.  Check Evilbay there should still be some floating around.  I've heard that someone else makes some, maybe Cortland.  I have a spool of both sizes and make loops for most of my setups 6wt and up.

Swamp