Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pbass

Thin head cement or thick gloss on Clouser Minnow heads?

21 hours ago, Pbass said:

Tying is becoming just as enjoyable as catching fish! 

Oh boy ... here's another addict in the making.  Next thing you know, there'll be a need for a second room for all the materials, four more bookcases for all the books and pattern printout binders, and no family or friends left to check in on you when you've gone missing for days on end.

46 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Oh boy ... here's another addict in the making.  Next thing you know, there'll be a need for a second room for all the materials, four more bookcases for all the books and pattern printout binders, and no family or friends left to check in on you when you've gone missing for days on end.

No worries my family are codependent enablers!

I coat the head, the threads on the belly, and barbell eyes first with any penetrating adhesive.  Then, I coat the head, threads on the belly, and barbell eyes with a light coat of epoxy.  I used to use a two-part epoxy, but UV epoxy works just as well and eliminates the drying time.  The main reason I use UV epoxy is that it protects the paint being scraped off by rocks, which will happen if the eyes are not protected.  Epoxy also prevents toothy fish from tearing up the fly.  

1 hour ago, Fish Finder said:

I coat the head, the threads on the belly, and barbell eyes first with any penetrating adhesive.  Then, I coat the head, threads on the belly, and barbell eyes with a light coat of epoxy.  I used to use a two-part epoxy, but UV epoxy works just as well and eliminates the drying time.  The main reason I use UV epoxy is that it protects the paint being scraped off by rocks, which will happen if the eyes are not protected.  Epoxy also prevents toothy fish from tearing up the fly.  

I never thought about coating the eyes to protect the paint. Sounds like your flys should hold up well!

Pbass, my flies do hold up well.  I still have Clousers that look newly tied that I've used for years.  When I teach tying the Clouser Deep Minnow, I include using epoxy or UV resin as the last step in tying it.