Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pbass

Some Flies in the Fly Tester video

Hi, I made a quick video of some flies in the Fly Tester. I have posted pictures of these flies here before. The tester really brings to light some of the errors I have made with the game changers and how it effects the action. The Yuk Bug really surprised me. In slow motion I could see lots of movement.  Anyway nothing ground breaking here I just thought the footage was cool so I wanted to share it here. 

Very nice! I've debated getting / building a tester.  It's important to know how a fly behaves in the water.  I see a lot of patterns that are better at catching anglers than catching fish 😉

Thank you

4 hours ago, BHouk said:

Very nice! I've debated getting / building a tester.  It's important to know how a fly behaves in the water.  I see a lot of patterns that are better at catching anglers than catching fish 😉

Thank you

Great point on catching anglers. I am thinking about building a bigger one as well. You can get acrylic cylinders, fish tank pumps, and fishtanks from amazon pretty cheap. If you build one you can even put in a fish tank filter to keep all of the hair and feathers cleaned out of the water. This one is nice as it does not take much space and is portable. I am enjoying using it as a part of the learning process. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Landon P said:

How does it work? 

Here is a short clip showing the tester running. I think its pretty cool. You can adjust the speed of the water pump to simulate the situation you plan on using the flys in. The fishing line runs from out of the tank down into the tank and hooks under a little metal hanger in front of the tunnel. There are little black rubber cork like plugs that you use to hold the line. You just lay the line across the opening and push in the plug to hold it.