Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ftpiercebob

Nail polish odor?

I like to finish off a lot of my flies by using various colors of nail polish on the threaded hook shanks. I use head cement first. I've noticed that the still wet nail polish is really stinky. After it dries completely i can't really detect much of an odor. Of course i smoked cigarettes for many decades, so i don't know if i can trust my sense of smell. Do any of you worry about odors left over from any step of the tying process, or do you think that most fish hit too fast to smell anything?  

I've used nail polish and superglue for years.  I do not believe it affects the fish, other than to possibly attack the "right" color combination.

I'm pretty sure the aromas you smell are the solvents ... and when they've all evaporated off, there's very little smell left.

Some of the old "dope" tiers used to use were full of solvents we don't use today.  Like airplane glue, they were enough to get you high if you were not careful.  These days I use water based rod varnish.  No odor and no fumes.