Fly Tying
Redleg

Water Cooler 4/10- 4-16

Hey guys, just thought I'd try something we do on another board, that's fun. A good way to get to know each other. Simulates a water cooler area in an office setting. Just chime in through the week and tell how your day's going, weather, etc. No hurt feelings if you don't like, it just advise. wink.gif

Ok, to get it started, just sitting here at work toady. Slow for the time being. Nice and sunny but dry. Haven't had rain in over a week and we've been getting alot of grass fires. In for the long haul today, volunteered for O.T. Probably hit the Pere Marquette Teusday, but have to reconstitute my fly box tomorrow night. Have a good one.

Don

Hey Red, I am sitting here enjoying a rainy Saskatchewan afternoon. Been farten around on my fly bench all morning. Fighting a spring Flu and not feeling up to much of anything, but I'm going to BBQ a 4H beef roast tonight, at least I can look forward to that. There's no fishing right now, still waiting for the ice to go.

Been sittin here flippin back& forth between NASCAR and the Tigers. Once the race goes off I'll be stating to blow the dust off my gear and get some stuff organized for a PM trip coming up soon. Might mess around with a rod I'm building as well if I get real energetic laugh.gif

best Homer Simpson voice Mmmmmmmm beeeeff

SD what are ya building. As soon as I find a better pen and resign mine, my new Sage will be done. This is my 1st "custom" rod. The others I built were just built to match factory components, so I never signed one. Also did my first inlays that turned out pretty sweet.

Sitting here at the computer taking a brief hiatus from the 3 bamboo rods I'm working on (arm was cramping up a bit from planing).

Planning on going fishing (or probably casting...) this evening for a couple of hours as the weather is sunny and the temps might hit 50 for the first time in 6 months. biggrin.gif

Redleg I started building a 9' 7wt steelie rod back about christmas and never finished it so I'm finishing now before the trip. It's a H&H blank with a custom green wood insert&grip made by Les,Heres a pic of it.

user posted image

It's a beautiful day here in central FL, but I'm at home finishing up some honey do's before I go on vacation next friday. Patched some stucco, sprayed some weeds in the garden and finished my income taxes, I hate writing that check every year! Now, Im going to finish a fly I started last night, an Erne Ranger.

Nope I looked at some of the more fancy strippers but just didnt have the extra cash to spend since I'm using 2 strippers. I ended up going with all gold hardward though so it matches the rings.

Got it in the dryer right now so I should have some pics of it finished on RBF tommorow smile.gif

too wound up to sleep, too sleepy to tie, so i'm perusing FTF when I stumble on this post, and TB reminds me i have to do my taxes. Dreading work tomorrow (all i seem to think about lately is tying)...oh yeah, did i mention i'm a freakin' AUDITOR!!! at least the post office is open 'til midnight on the 15th. doh! here's FLOUNDER at work>>> wallbash.gif

cool thread.

Was too windy to fish again today. Tied a few caddis this morning. Experimented with different colored electrical heat shrink tubing, as well as clear, using a heat gun and I wasn’t happy with the results. Worked a bit in the vegetable garden, peas, and others have sprouted. My wife took my son out for the day so I drove down to Orange County, battled traffic to visit Bob Marriott’s fly fishing store. Bought hooks, fur, feathers, synthetics, softex, even a couple of gold plated brooch pins for tying a fly onto. Right now my sons watching the movie Ladder 49, for the 20th time. Doubt I’ll tie tonight, just want to relax and rest before setting off to work in the morning. I spend a lot of time with my 12 year old son, like to take him on trips. He’s making a web site with pictures of our trips at www.grahamowen.com I plan on taking Tuesday off, at least the early morning, and fly fish over at Castaic Lake, it’s a great time of year for that.

Graham

Had a spurt for a minute, but slowed back down. Not quite draggin hiney yet... but it's ineviteable. Don't know why I volunteer for this stuff. blink.gif

just got back from a weekend trip to MI to see my gf. had a great time but only got about 2 hours of sleep in two days, so last night i slept like a rock and didn't even see this post. had a great nine hour day yesterday at airports.

anyways, i'm thinking about going fly fishing this weekend in OK for some brownies and bows. though tuna fishing in the gulf also sounds like a good idea... hmmmm..... decisions decisions.

i'm also dreading writing a report that i've been putting off for about two months now that i have to put on my boss's desk on monday.... looks like i should prolly get started today.

As always, dreaming of being back home in MI chasing steelies around right now. Then hitting the walleye. instead i'm fishing bass and some trout down here... one more month to go then my station gets changed back to MI. *sigh* 33 more days.

steve

Back at the grind today. Couldn't ask for better fishing conditions yesterday, although some rain might bring some more steelhead into the river. Hit the Pere Marquette at Clay Banks yesterday. Tried out a new (to me)streamer pattern. Saw a couple fish on the gravel and got buzzed by a couple. Only hooked into one steely. BUT, did get a nice little gator. 19" brown. Had a few little ones chase it. If anybody wants to take a look at the pattern, I left a couple in the river for ya. Rolled another decent one right at the end. Had some stones and hedricksons coming off the water too.