Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mnesbit

Regal long stem with pedestal base

Hello all,

In my quest for a new vise I was thinking about saving some money on a pedestal and use my old peak pedestal and simply buy a Regal Vise and stem. My pedestal does not have the Peak riser. The Regal short stem is 6.5” which seems to close the table. The long stem is 10.5”. What’s your thoughts? Anyone use a long stem on a pedestal?

I have the short stem and have no issues with height. My vise head is angled up at roughly a 45 so from the jaws to the table top is about 9".  

I bought one with the long and replaced it with the short for my primary pedestal vice. I have also replaced the stem on my travel vise to short with a c-clamp. Both are revolutions. I angle mine at about 10-20 degrees. I tie on both tables and from a workstation in my lap.

It depends ,for bass bugs i use a regal knockoff just because it has more clearance .I use my smaller rotary for everything else.If your tying big flies,bass pike salt water etc the extra clearance might come in handy,