Fly Tying
mistercameron

Dark Ice Dub visuals

As I'm shopping for some additional dubbing, I've come across a few nymph, chronimid/midge patterns that use UV Black ice dub, and some patterns that use Peacock Black. I can't really tell how similar these are from photos, except some slight blue vs green hues - but both very dark. Are they more or less interchangeable... and would you lean toward one more than the other?

Thanks so much!

There are patterns (like the Bling fly) that uses these 2 interchangeably but they are not to be used that way on all patterns.  The peacock and black peacock are more interchangeable than the black/black peacock.  That said, if all you have is the black and the pattern calls for black peacock - feel free to substitute.  This is why, if you look at older patterns, that there are multiple material variations listed on THE "pattern" for the fly.  Most pattern variations come about because people tie with what they have on hand.

Oh, and side by side you would see a pretty big difference between the two ice dubs you mentioned.

Kim

BTW, the fly tying police are not that active where I live! 😉

real peacock beats synthetics hands down but if i had to, i'd use black peacock to get the color variations the uv black wouldnt have

Thank you for the input - I appreciate it so very much. I’m still getting the feel for how closely I need to follow patterns and catch fish. I have limited time on the water, so I don’t want to screw around too much just yet. I’ll give the peacock black a shot and go from there.

FYI, the UV Black looks purple/violet. The Peacock Black has a base color of black. I use both and they both catch fish equally well.

20210531_155155.jpg

@fin-ite - that's super helpful, thank you - the best comparison I've seen yet. The UV Black really does look quite purple - goes to show what lighting and contrast can do for a photo.