Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

Blacker for Bann No. 4

This one is a little messy. Tricky to get things to lay the right way on these small hooks. I do love the bold, bright colors though. I think the body is pig's wool which is tricky to dub at any size. You also see the golden pheasant crest underwing which you don't see on a lot of salmon flies, but seem to be relatively common in the Blacker patterns. 

1767687744_BlackerforBannNo.4.thumb.jpg.354c09c01c1e4cc9887705ec0eac54cc.jpg

That is one cool fly...and well done indeed.

Pig's wool is nothing but trouble, but well worth that trouble. Get some of John McLain's liquid wax and tie in the material using that STICKY stuff with a dubbing loop.

I think you just may have inspired me to dig out that book and give some of the Blacker patterns a try.

Thanks for these posts...they're great!!

Thanks for the feedback! Good tip about using the liquid wax, I do have some so I will have to give that a try. You definitely should give them a shot. It's really kind of refreshing to look through some of the less commonly seen patterns. I'll keep an eye out for your pictures should you choose to share!