Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Swimming Finger Mullet

This fly I created because of a request from a Customer of mine who was buying my hand tied flies.  He said he wanted something like a clouser minnow, but one that was colored like a finger mullet.  Now, finger mullet are big headed fish, and Clouser Minnows are thin, dainty little flies.  So I set out to create a water pushing pattern, that also swam hook point up and jigged slightly like the Clouser Minnow, but could more closely represent a Mullet.  And this was the final creation.  

After tying this, I realized this could be a good pattern to represent a number of different baitfish.  Specifically Sculpin in the fresh water with their fat front bodies, I probably would shorten up the tail a bit more though for mimicking them.   And even shad, if the body is cut correctly to be more narrow and tall it could very much represent them.   

18 hours ago, richmce said:

that would be good on a 90 degree hook with dumbell to stand it up

Yeah, I agree.  Its hard to find saltwater hooks with a 90 degree or 60 degree shank.  Any recommendations on saltwater hooks like that?  

15 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

Yeah, I agree.  Its hard to find saltwater hooks with a 90 degree or 60 degree shank.  Any recommendations on saltwater hooks like that?  

After seeing his post I worked this up:

ACF696CD-AA89-4420-AC2A-2881DBA47C30.JPEG.ed73eff1335f143be23e19b50364d44b.JPEG

I pond tested it and the 60 degree jig hook design, lead eyes, and buoyant bucktail for the tail gives the vertical fall and presentation on the bottom. it has a great wobble when jigged too.

Here is the hook I used, found at west marine:

IMG_6396.jpg.dab854a829af67d122ccf389646d5cec.jpg

Chasing, nice work!  Looks great!  Mine obviously is more simple.  I like your take on this fly.  And yeah gamakatsu makes a great hook, my fear is in saltwater, would those bend on redfish?  Like how stout are they?

I have trouble finding eagle claws where I live for some reason.  Any online sources you recommend?

9 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

Chasing, nice work!  Looks great!  Mine obviously is more simple.  I like your take on this fly.  And yeah gamakatsu makes a great hook, my fear is in saltwater, would those bend on redfish?  Like how stout are they?

I have trouble finding eagle claws where I live for some reason.  Any online sources you recommend?

Stout hook, i'd have no qualms against throwing it to a redfish of any size.

I actually bought these hooks to rig Zman Ez Shrimpz for reds, snook, and tarpon on spinning/casting gear and they have shown themselves worthy of close quarters battle on big fish.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:07 PM, Chasing_Tails said:

Stout hook, i'd have no qualms against throwing it to a redfish of any size.

I actually bought these hooks to rig Zman Ez Shrimpz for reds, snook, and tarpon on spinning/casting gear and they have shown themselves worthy of close quarters battle on big fish.

Sounds good.  Yeah, I wish they came in something smaller than a 2 also.  I just looked it up and they look great.   I will order some.  I have a fly I use a size 6 hook on though (not the one above). And it needs to be jigged.  However it also has to be stout and good for saltwater.  Hard to find hooks like that.   I bend my own to get the jig part.