Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Los Alamos Ant (a.k.a. - LA Ant)

This is a foam fly that is very easy to tye and very effective on bass, panfish and trout. I've included both top view and fish-eye view photos, along with bright and dull versions, in the fly database. These things are a lot of fun for kids to tye and fish.

Enjoy.

Those look awesome! Will need to tie some of those up with the kiddos. We bought something called "sparkle foam" that might be fun to use on 'em.

madkasel - Here are the tying steps

1) Mount your thread on the hook and run a layer of thread to the bend of the hook and then back to the front just behind the eye of the hook.

2) Tie in the first foam triangle (which will later be the bottom color). The triangles are roughly 3/8" wide by 1" high. The first triangle is tied in with the point facing back towards the bend of the hook. Roughly one third of the triangle (pointed end) is tied to the hook shank, while the remaining two-thirds points out over the front of the hook. Be sure to placing the foam on the side of the hook when you tie it in since the tension of the thread will tend to push the foam up onto the top of the hook.

3) Tie in a pair of rubber leg material and run the thread back to the bend of the hook. Trim the rubber legs so they are roughly the same length as the hook. If you are using rubber legs that come in a single ribbon, it helps to keep two legs together when they are tied in. Do not splitting them apart until after they have been tied in and trimmed to length. This makes it much easier to tie in rubber legs.

4) Tie in five or six strands of peacock herl by the tip and run your thread to the front of the hook. Wind the herl to the front of the hook to form the body and tie off and trim. Now run your thread to the back of the hook to reinforce the herl.

5) Fold the foam triangle back towards the bend of the hook and tie off.

6) Lay a second foam triangle over the top of the fly with the point facing back. The front of the foam should line up with the eye of the hook. Tie down the piece of foam and then whip finish with a long reach whip finish tool or hand whip finish.

7) Cut off the thread and reattach roughly 1/8" behind the eye of the hook. Fold down the top piece of foam and tie down. The front edge should flare up a little forming almost a popper face.

8) Tie in a pair of legs on each side of the hook and trim to length.

9) Whip finish and cut off your thread.

10) Add eyes on the front of the foam using fabric paint (75 cent from Wal-Mart)

Enjoy!

I've been using them for bass and panfish for about 4 years now. I tie them a bit bigger usually on size 4 and 6 2xl or 3xl. A couple of tricks in tying them. It's tough to find pre-cut triangles the right size. Pick a spark plug gapping tool at your nearest auto store. The two heaviest gauges can be used to cut triangles of varying size and length. If you're going to use sparkle foam or loco foam, make sure when you tie in the bottom triangle, the sparkle side is facing down when folded back. For the top triangle, it's optional as to which way you put the sparkle side. The peacock herl can be difficult to wrap. You can substitute small sparkle/crystal chenille that way you can vary the body color or match the foam body. If you have trouble whip finishing like I do you can use a floss threader loop to tie off the wraps. Just lay the threader on top of the fly make 4 to 6 wraps over it. Cut a tag end and pull it throug the threader loop, then use the threader loop to pull the tying thread under the wraps. A touch of Z-A-G will hold it. Trim excess

Gentlemen - I should like to commend you. That is the most concise and complete set of directions and additions I have yet read on this forum. The directions are concise and quite readily followed. They are so good (in my opinion) step by step photos would not necessarily add to the presentation. The initial photos are quite sufficient and nicely done.

Tip of the hat my man!!!!!!

later

Fred

It's tough to find pre-cut triangles the right size. Pick a spark plug gapping tool at your nearest auto store. The two heaviest gauges can be used to cut triangles of varying size and length.

Can someone explain or show me a link to what a spark plug gapping tool is and how'd you would use it to cut triangles? Thanks and sorry for being the village idiot.

MisterChubbs - A spark plug gapping tool is a set of thin stips of metal of varying thicknesses that are used to set the spacing in the gap of a car's spark plug. The inventor of this fly pattern recommended buying a set of these (which would probably cost less than 10 buck at Wal-Mart or an auto parts store) and taking a pair of the metal strips to form a V-shape template to cut out the foam triangles. He recommended using a nut and bold combination at one end to hold the things together so you can cut consistent shapes. It's nice if you already have a set of spark plug gapping strips laying around, but it really isn't neccessary to run out and buy these.

I myself just use a wooden ruler that has a metal straight edge and a single blade razor to cut out the triangles. If you have a sheet of foam, you can cut a long strip that is 1 inch wide by the length of the piece of foam. Then you can put marks down each side that are 3/8" apart (stagger the centerlines) and then cut them apart with the razor and straight edge. It only takes a couple minutes to cut out a bunch of foam traiangles of many different colors. I cut up a bunch and put them in a ziplock sandwich bag so that I can mix and match colors as I tie.

- Ray

<°))))><

I think a bass or panfish would be nuts in the head for passing one of those cool flies up. I bet in bigger sizes pike or chain pickerel would give them a go as well

I'll say it again: terrific directions! Tied up a bunch of these last night... wow, what a fun tie!! My favorite fly so far. I meant to bring some foam into work so I can get a bunch of triangles cut up in a variety of colors.

Nearest I had was a size 12 nymph hook in a 2xl length and it seemed to work just great. I managed to whip finish them just fine, and even did a double whip finish in most cases. I endeavored to get the final knot on top, and then put some superglue on to secure it. For the ones with very dark colored top pieces, I tied down a little scrap piece of bright yellow foam on top after tying in the legs, like you'd do for a Chernobyl Ant. Should help me see it on the water a lot better, and fish can't spot it.

All of my size 10, 8 and 6 hooks are 4xl which seems beyond necessary for this fly. I'll need to pick up some 10s and 8s in a 2xl. Never can have enough hooks.

After I'm done tying one, I let my kids have fun markering them up... they've come up with some interesting patterns.

I'll let you know how they fish.