Fly Tying
rougetrout

Tie your Own leaders?

How many of you out there tie your own leaders? What is your favorite recipie  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like the UniBody leader which Gary Borger presented in Presentation ;)

4 feet .020 Maxima chameleon

1 foot .013 Maxima chameleon

4 feet .010 Maxima

To this add tippett of your choice(I use Orvis super strong) 6 to 8 inches for nymphing and 2 to 4 feet of tippett for dry fly fishing. My friend Jeff Passante also recommends this leader in his excellent little book on fishing the Housatonic(Amato, 1998)

Try it you'll like it...

Hot Tuna

I produce furled leaders for my shop and another one, and standard for myself and shop.. :bugeyes:

I may give the Borger a try this year. I enjoy tying my own, and checking out different formulas. When I want quick and easy for trout fishing, I tie on a store bought 7 1/2' 4x leader (usually S.A.- seems to work best for this), and add a goodly length of 5-6x tippet. Works well.

Chuck

I have made my own furled leaders for several years and literally have used nothing else. Recently, I found an entry on a forum about the shorb loop and have started using it on my leaders. BIG improvement. :P

I tried tying my own this year. I don't think I used the right lengths and diameters, so they did not work out as wel as I had hoped. Previously I just used straight monofiliment.

I am suprised at the number of Forum Members that use pre-mades....For myself, tieing my-own gives me better control over the ultimate goal of getting the fly on the water.

I tie my own leaders simply because it takes me less time to nail knot up three descending 6X , 4X , 2X sections than it is to contrive a loop to loop connection to my flyline!

:blink:

For trout I've been using purchased tapered leaders, and for warmwater I use the butt ends of my trout tapered leaders and then tie on appropriate lengths of mono or fluoro after that.

Yesterday I tried my first furled leader, to see if I wanted to try my hand at furling my own. It worked great on my 8 weight for tossing huge pike streamers. I was impressed. Looks like I'll be looking for a good set of furling board plans.

Until recently I always attached my leaders to the inside of the core of my fly line with a needle and CA glue. I've always like the way it made fighting fish in a belly boat so brainless because you don't have anything to impede your line/leader connection.

Just tried whipping a loop into my fly line two nights ago and I think it works great. I'd say 85% as snag free on the rod guides. That's good enough for me.

Question on furled leaders:

How do you construct a furled leader?

Does anyone have a link to a site that shows how it is constructed?

Thanks in advance!

I voted tie my own, cause I do tie em occasionally. But as of lately I have been buying furled leaders as they last me a lot longer if they dont get broke off.