Fly Tying
Squeezy

Chicken Feathers

@denduke - Thank you for the suggestion(s)!  Not sure the in-laws need more work at the moment with additional birds to care for.  They do however now own "Jiblips" the turkey - so hopefully end up with his feathers when he passes.  

Quite a few guys at work are waterfowl hunters, so I'm going to put the word out there.  Also, god willing, I'll have a doe hanging in the garage in 2 weeks and going to try and preserve that hair and tail for tying.  Can't believe I didn't find this hobby sooner!  Always thought "No way I could do that"... big mistake! 

3 hours ago, Squeezy said:

@denduke - Thank you for the suggestion(s)!  Not sure the in-laws need more work at the moment with additional birds to care for.  They do however now own "Jiblips" the turkey - so hopefully end up with his feathers when he passes.  

Quite a few guys at work are waterfowl hunters, so I'm going to put the word out there.  Also, god willing, I'll have a doe hanging in the garage in 2 weeks and going to try and preserve that hair and tail for tying.  Can't believe I didn't find this hobby sooner!  Always thought "No way I could do that"... big mistake! 

This should help you select parts from the hide for fly tying.

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/selecting-deer-hair

40272958942_1d1f582d4d_z.jpg]

As a novice tier and former backyard chicken farmer (at one point I had 140 chickens) I will provide some advice. When and if your in laws order some new baby chicks to replenish their flock, suggest to them that they order the mixed-sex combo rather than all-females. Your average backyard chicken enthusiast doesn't want roosters around because they are noisy, obnoxious, eat a ton, don't lay eggs, and (in the laying breeds) are not very good to eat. HOWEVER you could suggest to your in laws that some roosters be retained until approximate age of 8 months at which point you would be happy to skin them, keep the skin and provide the skinned carcass to your inlaws for their stock pot.

In retrospect some of the roosters that I had, possessed some very impressive capes. I have no idea if they would have been good for tying but I never tried, alas.

Appreciate the information Gray Ghost….   The chickens ja be since become royalty on the farm haha. The mother in law has been collecting the turkeys feathers as he drops them. Hopefully find some use from those!