Fly Tying
Fla. Panfisher

What type of thread...

I was trying to get started tying and was wondering about thread... what brand and why? I look for a lot of materials on e-bay cuz there are'nt any shops close thanks...

Danvilles 3/0 & 6/0 sizes with colors as required

Uni 3/0, 6/0 & 8/0 sizes with colors as required

A lot of other places sell fly tying materials. Try Hook & Hackle next time, they have been in the business alot longer than Ebay!

I use Ultrathread. I like the way it lays flat with very little buid up and I like the fact that it is flat and helps with dubbing. I use 70 for the dries and bluegilss flies, 140 for the Bass and salt stuff.

What nobody likes gudebrod? I use G for all of my eggs that stuff is strong!!!!!!! ohmy.gif I can pul a egg hook way out of whack whit that stuff. I like guidebrod for wooly buggers worms craws most every thing 3/0 and 6/0. But if my fly has a pronounced head made of thread I like danvilles because it lays flater. gudebrod is stronger in each size but dosent lay flat and tends to build up. If you are tying a fly that requiers a extra tight pull on the tread use it. If you are tying eggs use G by gudebrod.

You can also try Rockymountainflies.com. He has all of the major brands of thread. My prefference is UNI 8/0 for most flies, Kevlar for toothy critter flies and Bennichi for dries and small nymphs.

Thanks for the info... I mostly fish mosquito lagoon north to ponce inlet... toothy critters yes, so is kevlar the way to go? what are the down sides? Would this be a waste on poppers for fresh water...

QUOTE (day5 @ Jun 12 2005, 08:49 AM)
But if my fly has a pronounced head made of thread I like danvilles because it lays flater. gudebrod is stronger in each size but dosent lay flat and tends to build up.

I have used Danville Flymaster for decades and Gudebrod since it come out. I have not found that Danville lies flatter than Gudebrod. In fact I find them to work exactly alike except that the Danville nylon has a bit more stretch than the Gudebord polyester. However, sizing is the real question. Danville 6/0 has a larger denier than does Gudebrod 8/0 for example so if you compare 6/0 of both you are not comparing the same sized material as Gudebrod 6/0 is over 2X larger in denier than Danville 6/0.

Regards,

Benecchi's (white) 12/0 as my 'working' thread.

Danville's no-wax 6/0 Flymaster for the head.

I've used Uni for a long time and have just recently been experimenting some with Ultra. I really like the way Ultra can lie flat if you want it to or twist it to act like Uni. Kind of like two threads for the price of one.