Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Gallant

White Turkey Tail Feathers

Hi Folks,

Is anyone aware of suppliers for white turkey tail feathers, suitable for dying and tying classic patterns? I've looked at FeathersMC and ebay, but thinking there must be a supplier or wholesaler out there somewhere...

Does anyone know?

While I haven’t purchased any; there are sellers of both white and dyed turkey rounds (secondary feathers) on Etsy.com.  It might be worth a quick look.  Good luck.

I looked at all 4 of the above sites, and while they have lots of secondary wing feathers, they do not have any tail feathers. The wing feathers just don't cut it for classic salmon flies. The fibers just aren't long enough. On the other hand tail feathers quite often have fibers that are good out to 8/0 and if you are lucky 10/0.

I was on the phone with John McLain in the last week and he did get some tail feathers suitable for dying, but apparently the quality wasn't really up to snuff. Availability of these things seems to be cyclical.

I also checked aofeathers.com and he has virtually nothing.

Good luck on your feather hunt.

I ordered a mix of turkey feathers on eBay. The seller does have white tail feathers but the catch is they are in Azerbaijan. If you can stand to wait a few weeks for delivery, that’s one way to go. Definitely not extra select quality but they are usable. I haven’t washed and steamed the ones I received yet but I imagine it’ll help quite a bit. 

Lots of white tail feathers of better  quality listed from other sellers on there, too.