Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

Thompson "Pro Vise" Series question.

2 hours ago, DWSmith said:

Later did they have a version in a metal finish that looked like chrome?

I have never seen a chrome Thompson Pro, but that doesn't mean they weren't made.  That article you posted is only 5 years old, and DH Thompson was out of business by then, if that helps. 

Do you have one?

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Thompson vise on its way and I'm trying to identify the model from the photo.  I think it's a Pro.

I may be mistaken.  I just saw a series of photos that made it look like it had possibly been black at one time so maybe the finish has worn off or the lighting made it look more like old chrome.  It has definitely seen better days.  In this photo even the knobs on the clamp appear to not be black ... sort of. ???

Is this a Pro Series?

Picture 1 of 12

That is definitely a Thompson Pro, I agree with you about the lighting making it look chromed. 

That photo made the vise look so bad that I had buyer's remorse thinking it was a mess and bid on another one.  Then the vise in the photo arrived.  It looks darn good.  Maybe someone will bid against me and get the second one.

I also bought a Thompson Model A.  (What was I thinking??? :) )

I'm going to end up with 2 or 3 Thompson vises.  I'm having fun.

No such thing as too may vises, and enjoyment is the name of the game.  

Congrats. 

Looking forward to seeing some of your ties.

Do they call it VAD (Vise Acquisition Disorder)?  Is there a 12 step program for it or does it require an intervention?  I probably need to get prepared.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of my flies too!  I need some materials then I'll get started.  Might tie some more of the flies I did years ago.  I still have materials for those.

This just arrived.  Model "A"?  It's absolutely perfect except that the clamp is upside down.  I'll have to figure out how to fix that.  (Just kidding.  This is the seller's picture.)

Picture 1 of 5

On 3/27/2023 at 4:17 PM, DWSmith said:

This just arrived.  Model "A"? 

The model A's were chrome and the Pros were blackened.  That and the slightly beefed up clamp on the Pro were the only real differences between the two models.

5 hours ago, redietz said:

The model A's were chrome and the Pros were blackened.  That and the slightly beefed up clamp on the Pro were the only real differences between the two models.

Are you saying all model A's were chromed?  I think I've seen some model A's chromed and some with the dark finish but I may be mistaken.

I started tying on my father's Thompson A in 1955.  Trying to duplicate patterns I saw in a Herters Catalog.  After we moved to Utah in 57,  the vise was packed away, and "lost for about 6 years.  Then in 66, I found it again and Used it for years.  In 71 I got a Thompson Pro with 2 extra jaws.  This one lasted me until I passed it and the Thompson A model down to my Niece and Nephew.  They still work just fine, going strong after more than 65 years.  The "new Thompson products are maid in Asia somewhere and I don't think they will match up to the "real D H Thompsons."

I tried lots of other vises in the 70s, and 80s.  Then in 91, I got a Nor-Vise.  It is still going after more than 20 years and 10,000 flies.