Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

References to Sally's?

1 minute ago, DWSmith said:

Just a guess but are those references to Sally's fingernail polish?

Not sure what you're referring to, but Sally Hansen Hard as Nails fingernail polish is often abbreviated to SHHAN

Here's one example: "Thunder Creek Salt Mackerel after seeing the heads Norm made with UV I can never go back to lacquer, or Sally's."

1 hour ago, DWSmith said:

Here's one example

Yes, Sally's Hard as Nails fingernail polish used for a replacement for lacquer (old school) to soak and coat heads of flies. Available in many colors (lady's at Walmart may look at you funny when buying I just ask them if they think this is my color) economical and easily available compared to many other head finishes. I think it may be a acrylic base unlike lacquer that was believed to soak into the thread base.

Not to split hairs but SHHAN advanced is actually a protective top coat and not a fingernail polish. It goes over polish to strengthen and protect the polish. This is what is commonly used in fly tying and not so much the colored polish, although colored is also sometimes used.  I have daughters, I know things I shouldn’t. 

I've been told told that the manufacturer of SHHAN is aware that something like 3% of the product sold is for fly tying, not fingernails.