Fly Tying
flyflinger

Rotary Vise Decision

I thought I narrowed it down to the HMH TRV and the Tiemco TMC II, and I probably should have just bought the HMH TRV from Gene L in the classifieds.  Some family stuff popped up and I got distracted for a while, and he sold it.  I can't seem to find anyone with actual hands-on time with the Tiemco.  So the answer is:  I'm still waffling between those two, or the other LAW imitation called FNF Talon.  

Regards,

I thought of another vise that may be of interest since your budget is leaning toward the top of the line vises.

Marc Petitjean has been a guest speaker at my fly tying club a couple of times. He is a superb tyer, fine fisherman and to go along with this he has the brain of an engineer. His tools are are really quite amazing. As an example, simple stuff like his whip finish tool is the best I've ever used...bar none. All this leads to his vise. It is truly another fine piece of equipment worth considering for your needs.

George

Thank you.  I have been tracking Marc's work for years and have spoken to him at several shows.  I am a retired engineer and really appreciate his designs.  I have the full set of his tools (#3), including that whip finisher you mentioned (excellent, it is my primary) . . . and the Magic Tool set.  I actually had his vise on my short list for a while and studied his video, but then started to read about "wiggle" in the head and poor rotary tension adjustment.  Not to mention, they are very hard to find for sale unless shipped from Switzerland.  Thanks for your kind prompt - I'll circle back around and give it another look.                

Regards,

Well, it took forever, but I finally bought my vise -  Marc Petitjean Swiss-Vise Master.  I took a long while to find one in stock in the US (without paying excessive VAT and customs fees from Switzerland), and even longer to wait for a sale price.  I received it yesterday and will set it up along with the Bobbin Rest, Tool Rack, and Profile Plate accessories.  Out of the package it appears to be a very well-made tool and very nicely machined stainless steel and aluminum construction.  It had many features that I liked, including two ways to adjust the jaw alignment, fine jaws for smaller flies with a clever hook capture/release function, and conversion between pedestal and C-clamp.  If you're interested I've included the demo video below . . . 

Thanks again to all those who engaged in the dialogue along the way - it was both informative and entertaining! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9WskBbooaU 

Regards,  

Very nice video and vise. I like the vise very much though I don't think I need to buy one. I have something like 12 of them and use them each from time to time even though I have favorites.

I too have a "collection" - just for fun -  some of the old ones are a hoot.  Some barely hold a hook and some do a pretty good job even in their simplicity.  I have a old Dyna-King "rotary" that I understand is pretty rare (probably because it wasn't a true in-line rotary, and not made for very long), and a very old Thompson with a huge red screw knob.  This latest Swiss Petitjean is by far the fanciest one I have ever bought, especially with all the attachments.   

In the non-rotary category, it's hard to beat a Dyna-King, HMH, or Regal.  For many years while guiding, my Dyna-King Professional with the extra Midge jaws did everything I could ask, and  did it extremely well.  I'm not yet sure how the latest business acquisition will affect Dyna-King.  Ron Abby was a class act!   

https://www.flyfusionmag.com/dyna-king-acquired/                     

Regards,

2 hours ago, flyflinger said:

I too have a "collection" - just for fun -  some of the old ones are a hoot.  Some barely hold a hook and some do a pretty good job even in their simplicity.  I have a old Dyna-King "rotary" that I understand is pretty rare (probably because it wasn't a true in-line rotary, and not made for very long), and a very old Thompson with a huge red screw knob.  This latest Swiss Petitjean is by far the fanciest one I have ever bought, especially with all the attachments.   

In the non-rotary category, it's hard to beat a Dyna-King, HMH, or Regal.  For many years while guiding, my Dyna-King Professional with the extra Midge jaws did everything I could ask, and  did it extremely well.  I'm not yet sure how the latest business acquisition will affect Dyna-King.  Ron Abby was a class act!   

https://www.flyfusionmag.com/dyna-king-acquired/                     

Regards,

Well, you have a fine vise. I'll have to watch for a used one. Congrats.