Fly Tying
sharpster68

A question about the DAN VISE

I believe the entire vise except for the stem are made of Delrin(according to the vise reviews found here click here.

Don't let that idea shy you away from the vise, it's tough and holds a hook like a champ. I don't hesitate to suggest it to anyone wating a rotary vise for under $100.

I have a Danvise and love it.

Put simply, the jaws and stem are made of appropriate steel/metal and the rest of the vise is made of some kinda space-age poly-something that's 1-billion times stronger than the best tool steel available.

I have never had any indication that the "plastic" isn't up to the task, and I find it to be a magnificent vise.

Would I like a Griffin Montana Mongoose or that crazy looking Thompson Cobra (assuming that the exploding jaw problem has been taken care of!)? Sure, but only for the sexy looks....

YMMV of course but at about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of comparable units from the "big names", I'm a believer!

Besides, it looks kinda high-tech space-age: How cool is that?!?!

Cheers!

Gary

Derrin is strong stuff. It is the same material that cutting boards are made from. I know a bunch of people who use it for skidplates on their Jeeps and Toyotas. When I heard it was plastic I thought oh great, till I heard it was Derrin and now I am pushing Dad to get a Danvice so I can try it out.

Hi sharpster68,

As you have already heard the vise is constructed from delrin - a space age material used to make roller bearings in factory conveyor belts, etc. It is super tough but can be broken. When I agreed to be the importer (the vise is manufactured in Denmark) I tested it in many ways including driving my truck over a vise. Yes, it did break but I really think most people don't put their vise through such a rigorous test.

The vise I'm tying on today looks new except the blacking agent to color the jaws has been rubbed off but so has the same color on six or eight of my other vises. I estimate that 30,000 hooks have gone through that vise (in the last 8 years) and the only visable wear is on the metal jaws. If you elect to purchase a Danvise, J. Stockard (the sponsor of this web sithe) is one of my customers and will give you excellent service/price. Whichever way you decide to go, good luck! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

The other thing I would like to add is that, like many spinning reels made of delrin, the vise has ball bearings surrounding the rotating shaft. More expensive 'all metal' vises to cannot afford to add the bearings. Secondly, even the $500 vises still use plastic/nylon washers to affect the tension on rotation, and this is the weak link in allowing a smooth rotation. The Danvise is as smooth as any of them. Dave Goulet of the Classic and Custom Shop also uses it on the Farmington River, so it is good enough for me - I've had mine for 3.5 years.

I have a Danvise as well. No complaints. Honestly I would not have bought one on my own due to my silly phobia of plastic but since it came as a gift I have since changed my views.

Now if this vise ever breaks I may buy an over priced fully metal one but I'm afraid it just might outlast me... lol

I would not have bought the DanVise because (#1) it's ugly, (#2) it's plastic by large, but having won it in a raffle, I took it home and used it. I was amazed. No other vise I know is as versatile, as solid, and as dependable. There are better built vises, and vises that will maybe last longer ( I don't know about this one yet, my DanVise is about 8 or 10 years old now), but none that are remotely comparable on the cost scale.

One fact that is seldom mentioned in discussions of vises and the Danvise is that the jaws on the Danvise close PERFECTLY PARALLEL regardless of the size of the hook. This is not the case with Thompsons, Griffins (I have two) or Renzettis. Dyna-Kings solve the problem with grooves in the jaws. When tying on my Danvise I do not have to search for the 'sweet-spot' in the jaws where I have the right tension - there is more jaw touching the hook when it is locked in.